PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Over ride

markmc
12-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I had a post a little while back when I was considering a Glow Plug Over-ride. Get's cold up here in the NH hills. I've since bought a set up from Walt. Installed it, just as the directions say. I used the post at the back of the under hood fuse box that is fed directly by the battery for power. Issue is, I get the "wait to start" light during regular glow cycle but when I hit the button for the over-ride, the relay clicks loud but no lights on the dash indicating the glows are on.

Anyone out there with this set up and same issue??? Maybe it's the vintage of my truck?- last year for the Suburban TD.

94K30
12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Mark, I did this mod, not the kit from walt, but just made it up from wire, a starter relay intended for a ford pick-up, an inline fuseholder straight from pos. battery terminal.It is connected to the glow plug controler at the output side. when I hit the switch, I get I get Glow plug light on dash......

markmc
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if for some strange reason the wiring is different in the model year I have. It's a pretty basic set up. Heavy wires to each controller post, connected to each side of the relay. Switch itself has two wires. One runs to "S" post on relay. The other runs to a 12V source.

I checked grounds. I suppose if the glow plugs glow and the light doesnt come on(during over-ride only), maybe the thing is wired differently???

94K30
12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi Mark, That could be, all I know is I put my 8 Gauge wire on the glow plug side of controler, and when I use it, the glow plug light comes on.....

markmc
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks again. Just to confirm, when you say"glow plug light", we're talking the "wait to start light" correct?

94K30
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
In the later years like yours, that light says wait to start, in the earlier ones like mine, it says Glow Plugs. Yes, same light......

94K30
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey Markmc, where is east overshoe? I used to live in Moultonboro NH.......

markmc
12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, actually seeing as how when I was growing up in a neighboring state, we used to refer to all of NH as "up country".

Turns out NH is now my state of residence and Brentwood is my home town. It's a bit down country from Moultonboro which is beautiful country. I was do'in some off roading in my Land Rover and I ran into a guy once up in Moultonboro who was up on a fine piece of land overlooking the lake. He was there with his son, doing some tree cutting. Guy see's me, takes his gloves off, comes over to shake my hand, tells me all about the old days when the family homestead was there on this land. Real down to earth guy and not afraid of hard work. Turns out he was heir to a department store family and probably could have bought the lake and the town several times over, but there he was, workin in the August sun, take'in it all in. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet and someone that didnt forget where he came from. These trucks really bring you to meet some intersting people!

94K30
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes sir, I really enjoyed living in NH....