PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries

hraney
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Anyone using these batteries on their 6.5? I have one on a 99 'burb gasser and it works well. What I am really wondering is if I could get away w/ running one of these on my 6.5TD.
It doesn't get very cold here for very long and if I skip the corrosion patrol on the stacked cables I end up cranking on one battery before long anyway.
Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks

Chevylover
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Anyone using these batteries on their 6.5? I have one on a 99 'burb gasser and it works well. What I am really wondering is if I could get away w/ running one of these on my 6.5TD.
It doesn't get very cold here for very long and if I skip the corrosion patrol on the stacked cables I end up cranking on one battery before long anyway.
Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?
Thanks

I got two Exide Maxxima 900 in my 6.5. The work great and in my opinion they are the best batt's i ever had. The Exide is similar to the optima red top. These spiralcell/gel batts are a little expensive to standard batt's, but there's nothing better.

Cu,
Sven

sixnickel
01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
First off GM requires 2 600 CCA batteries thats 1200 total CCA. The best group 78 I have seen is 900 CCA so one is not enough. I run Interstate MTP DT78s which are 800 CCA each. And these have all kinds of guts. I asked my Interstate wholesaler what he would run in his own vehicle, the Optimas or the MTPs. And he said MTPs, the Optimas bang is not worth the buck. Also with the dual terminals, if you put military terminals on them, it's good for hooking your accessories to but the best part is, when your buddy's Ford Powerjoke wont start and needs a jump, its easy to hook the cables to.

DragNasty
01-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I havent had very good luck with the optima batteries. I build custom show trucks so we use them alot because of the gel cell design and fitment issues but Ive had to replace several.

awake1630
01-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I have used Die Hards for as long as i can remember and they work the best for me. I have two Die Hard Deep Cycle 880 CCA .

RckyMtNDeZL
01-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Well alot of penny pinchers are hating on DEEP cycle batteries? I must admit, I dont run dry cell batteries because I cant afford them. Dropping 300 on batteries is a bit much I concur. But performance AND COLD start wise they are the best. You can crank them LONGER then conventional bats and they dont freeze...duh dry cel or gel! I am contemplating cheaping my tires a bit and getting 2 new the corrosion on the stacked terms are killing me. I swapped my negatives from side to top posts 6 months ago...havent had trouble since.:eek:

DragNasty
01-21-2007, 06:17 PM
I only run the optimas because I have to use sealed batteries in the tight places on the trucks I build. Ive had alot of them and there ok but Im gonna start trying a different sealed battery.

Sloth
01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Don't waste your money. I sell them and evert other one comes back with some problem or other in a few months. For the same cash you could have a pair of 900cca group 78's or even better dual term. 34's . Adam

midniteplowboyy
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
One good optima or any other battery will crank a 6.5, no problem, as long as your vehichle is sound and its not below 20 degrees or so, I dont recomend it but I've done it thousands of times, prolly aint good for the starter but my 92's starter lasted almost 300,000miles. If your truck starts well and your in a bind you can get by on one.

Violator
03-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I replaced mine with a set of Delcos. Was able to get 850cca,1000ca ea. from dealer. Starter will probably drive truck on its own now. Starts very fast.

hraney
03-07-2007, 03:46 AM
I have a 97 Crew cab. I would like to relocate the batteries (why,you ask? personal preferece here: I don't like all that weight hanging out over the front end) but I really don't want them in the bed. I did that on an 84 6.2L but didn't like giving up the bed space.
I wonder how the Optima's (or something like them) would perform say....under the back seat... of course I would have to cut the floor pans out to make some trays to have room for them under there....
Any suggestions?

sixnickel
03-11-2007, 09:11 PM
If I were to go the work of moving the batteries it would be so I could put group 31 batteries in. There some out there with more than 1000 CCA and a RC of over 210 min. I stock Interstate Workaholics at work with a 950 CCA and these things are animals. I use these in Macks, Internationals, etc. 2 of these in on a 6.5 would really crank it over I don't care how cold it is, who needs block heaters??

Craig
06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Sixnickle,

You mentioned Military terminals. What are they like and where can you get them. I like what you mentioned about the ease of hooking up accessories.

Husker 6.5
06-09-2007, 06:00 PM
If I were to go the work of moving the batteries it would be so I could put group 31 batteries in. There some out there with more than 1000 CCA and a RC of over 210 min. I stock Interstate Workaholics at work with a 950 CCA and these things are animals. I use these in Macks, Internationals, etc. 2 of these in on a 6.5 would really crank it over I don't care how cold it is, who needs block heaters??

My 82 Audi 5000 TD had a group 31 in it. PLENTY of cranking power for that little 2.1L five-banger diesel. I could DC arc weld with that battery, if I had to.

Husker 6.5

3bals
06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Husker,
Funny you should mention welding with a battery. Last year when I hired an outfit to put camper mounts on my truck, I wasn't impressed with their welds. I called them and accused them of welding the mounts on with jumper cables and a coat hanger. They were offended.

Jody

Husker 6.5
06-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Husker,
Funny you should mention welding with a battery. Last year when I hired an outfit to put camper mounts on my truck, I wasn't impressed with their welds. I called them and accused them of welding the mounts on with jumper cables and a coat hanger. They were offended.

Jody

I probably would have been offended, too. They used jumper cables and a 16penny nail!!!!:D :D