PDA

View Full Version : PMD Heat Exchanger

01-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I have been thinking for a while now that a good way of removing the heat from the PMD is to screw it to a fuel heat exchanger. Most highway trucks already use them to cool the computer on the side of the engine. I was thinking that if something were put on the back of the PMD that fuel going to the engine could be pumped through it, it should take the heat away with the fuel. It would also be less effected by high under hood temps.

jifaire
01-25-2008, 12:32 AM
GM tried that, remember? They mounted the PMD on the Injection pump so the fuel could keep it cool. That worked until you shut off the engine... no circulating fuel, no heat removal. Ergo, it bakes.

The process is called Heat Soak. The PMD takes more of a beating when the engine is OFF than when it's ON.

Personally, I think instead of inventing some expensive, complicated thing to try and keep it from being "effected by high under hood temps", you should just get it out from under the hood.

Oh yeah. Heath already did that.

01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
True, they did mount it on the side of the injection pump, but I don't think there is going to be much cooling under the intake. Especially with a cast iron block around it, but if it were moved I don't see a reason the PMD would cook itself once it was removed from the engine valley. Especially if you had cool fuel runnign through the back of it.

Joe 94 dually
01-25-2008, 03:06 AM
True, they did mount it on the side of the injection pump, but I don't think there is going to be much cooling under the intake. Especially with a cast iron block around it, but if it were moved I don't see a reason the PMD would cook itself once it was removed from the engine valley. Especially if you had cool fuel runnign through the back of it.
I don't think you could argue that point except that it's cheaper and easier to just get it away from the engine heat.

firetruck
01-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it would be a good idea. Even if you get it out and away from the engine heat the driver itself produces a great deal of heat on it's own. I have mine mounted on the frame rail just in front of the lift pump, so running fuel under or around it would just be a matter of finding the right hardware. Electronics can always benefit from cooler temps.

edzzed
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I think it would be a good idea. Even if you get it out and away from the engine heat the driver itself produces a great deal of heat on it's own. I have mine mounted on the frame rail just in front of the lift pump, so running fuel under or around it would just be a matter of finding the right hardware. Electronics can always benefit from cooler temps.
you could get a 12 volt fridge from a wrecked rv and hook it up inside of it. but better off buying a heatsink from a guy who has a 7 year warranty against failure. in the long run it's what i'd do. even if you had, say a hollowed out ip, you will still deal with the heat soak no matter where you mount it as there are no cooling fins on it for after engine shut down. Ed

jifaire
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
you could get a 12 volt fridge from a wrecked rv and hook it up inside of it. but better off buying a heatsink from a guy who has a 7 year warranty against failure. in the long run it's what i'd do. even if you had, say a hollowed out ip, you will still deal with the heat soak no matter where you mount it as there are no cooling fins on it for after engine shut down. Ed

12-volt fridge... I like that.:cool:

Sundance
01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Interesting............. All standard refrigerators require a heat source to change the physical state of the refrigerant.

Based on that........... Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to make a small fridge box for the cab whose cooling system ran on the heat of the PMD?? It would cool the PMD and the heat would create cold for the fridge. Perhaps one that would fit where the glove box is?? Or between the front bucket seats??

Please............ some engineer type get on this.

grancito
01-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Good idea, glove box beer cooler, Garth will want one of those for summer. Cheers Garth, the beer in Mexico is still good.

Garth J
01-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Beer here is good to and really cold right now might even get some snow tonight to keep it colder
Hoping to get down that way next winter for a month or so ...G

grancito
01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Good one Garth, come to here for some fishing, and a change of beer.

jifaire
01-29-2008, 01:56 AM
:) Dos cerveza, por favour.:cool:

Garth J
01-29-2008, 12:17 PM
We are looking at a RV Park called Totonaka RV Park at San Carlos Sonora is that near you? Garth

grancito
01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
No, that is in Sonora on the main land, I am in Baja California Sur.

John R
03-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Good idea, glove box beer cooler, Garth will want one of those for summer. Cheers Garth, the beer in Mexico is still good.

Hey is the beer Carona? then im game for the fridge idea

grancito
03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
We have corona and lots of other brands, including 940ml bottles of Pacifico, good beer and cheap.

DieselDog6.5
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Did someone say beer? Hi, I'm new to this site. Thought I'd say hi to all before I start hammering you guys with questions on my 6.5 TD! It has the standard stalling as everyone elses. I've been watching the posts and following along. You guys are amazing! Have a new IP comin for my 168,000K 96 extended cab. Thanks from a guy you've never heard of before! Up here in MN, you put your warm beer outside for half an hour, and the top inch turns to slush when you open it!

John R
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
We have corona and lots of other brands, including 940ml bottles of Pacifico, good beer and cheap.

So i was wondering when we were having all this cheap beer?And how we will be keeping it cool? Since now our pmd-fsd 's are hogging up our beer fridge? any ideas?

John R
03-12-2008, 10:21 PM

So i was wondering when we were having all this cheap beer?And how we will be keeping it cool? Since now our pmd-fsd 's are hogging up our beer fridge? any ideas? Beer meet or meat?

DieselDog6.5
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, I don't know if Winnipeg counts as Canada, but my wife has rellies up there that we visit a couple times a summer. They invite us up when they have an out of date batch of Labatts light! We manage to choke it down! Lots of fun with good people!

grancito
03-13-2008, 01:27 AM
So i was wondering when we were having all this cheap beer?And how we will be keeping it cool? Since now our pmd-fsd 's are hogging up our beer fridge? any ideas?

put the PMD in the bumper and the beer in the cooler

03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Or we could drink the beer and worry about the PMD later:)

John R
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Or we could drink the beer and worry about the PMD later:)

Well the pmd- fsd may have cooled off by then. So why dont we all just enjoy the beer!