PDA

View Full Version : lights in the bumper

ChevyCowboy
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
so my truck has to big rectangular holes in the bummper i was thinking that some fog lights would look killer there but then i got to thinking will that cutt back on the air flow to the engin? or can i put the lights there and not have a problem

hraney
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Those holes are diesel specific for airflow. The gas burners don't have them. I wouldn't put anything in there myself, but that is my .02

edzzed
01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Those holes are diesel specific for airflow. The gas burners don't have them. I wouldn't put anything in there myself, but that is my .02

X2, although if you don't tow you should be able to get away with lights. might even wanna look at these lights. Ed

http://cgi.ebay.ca/88-98-CHEVY-SILVERADO-1500-GMC-SIERRA-GRILLE-HEADLIGHT_W0QQitemZ290201857755QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 33645QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gennylight01
02-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Previous owner of my truck thought the same thing. Big foglights in the bumper would be great. I bought it from him after he blew it up.

sootjunkie65
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I put 3" foglights in the openings and havnt had any overheating problems, the temp stays around 200 or less regardless of outside temp

ChevyCowboy
02-01-2008, 07:48 PM
if i set the lights far enough back in the bumper so that air can still flow through the holes would that be a better idea i dont do alot of towing

DieselFreak
02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Thought about doing the exact same thing with my bumper. I don't do a lot of heavy hauling either, so it shouldn't be a problem. I want to put H4 lights in mine, having both low and high beam in those in-bumper lights.
But how about brackets for mounting lights. Making my own, or can I buy some ?

Chevylover
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
As i bought my truck some years ago. the previous owner did the same. He put some fog lights in the bumper holes. He made some special brackets by his own from aluminium sheet metal.
The bad thing was, they only lastet from the location where i picked the truck to my house. As i got i here i pulled all the lamps, brackets and wires out and throw it as far away as i could. Looks really ugly, to much heat, either without towing and i LOVE these holes ! I would put a diesel bumper on a gas truck, only for the better look.

I i want more light or fog lamps, i would buy the oem ones, that were mounted below the bumper in the plastic air deflector.

Just my 2 cents !

DieselFreak
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I hear you, Sven... If I could afford a bull bar, I would just put a couple of lights there. Am going to put lights in the air dam as well :-)

Chevylover
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
I hear you, Sven... If I could afford a bull bar, I would just put a couple of lights there. Am going to put lights in the air dam as well :-)

Mine was on the truck as i bought it. Perhaps you might have a look at Ebay.de. There sometimes bullbars for "low budget" in, because shipping is not so easy, due to weight and size, but due to this, you could do a "snap".

Cu,
Sven

DieselFreak
02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Having been looking around in ".de" for stuff... Just haven't found one AND had the money yet :D

vmac4
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I hung mine off of the lower mounting bolts for the license plate mount.
They are bright and still allow proper air flow.I have 3" round spots from
northern tools,work great for me since I drive home from work around
1:00 a.m.

markmc
02-14-2008, 09:20 AM
if you do any kind of towing or running in hot weather at all, you'll be glad the coolers up front are getting air distribution from those openings. If you really want lights up there, suggest you look into a light bar, just one that doesnt block airflow to the coolers

ChevyCowboy
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
i plan on building a heavy duty bumper for the truck so i guess i will just wait on the lights but thank you for the info beacous i have had to change the way i planed to build my bumper so that it will still have a way for the air to flow free enough to keep the motor cool

John R
03-08-2008, 02:53 AM
As i bought my truck some years ago. the previous owner did the same. He put some fog lights in the bumper holes. He made some special brackets by his own from aluminium sheet metal.
The bad thing was, they only lastet from the location where i picked the truck to my house. As i got i here i pulled all the lamps, brackets and wires out and throw it as far away as i could. Looks really ugly, to much heat, either without towing and i LOVE these holes ! I would put a diesel bumper on a gas truck, only for the better look.

I i want more light or fog lamps, i would buy the oem ones, that were mounted below the bumper in the plastic air deflector.

Just my 2 cents !

Holes for lights? I thought they were steps so we could all get up into the engine compartment to do some wrenching! Lol!

urban assault
04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey , do they make a smoothie version of the diesel bumper? I want to eliminate the moldings and rubber bumper pieces and paint it to match the truck ,but dont want to hinder airflow to the coolers.

Garth J
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I saw a smoothe bumper with a grill in www.stylintrucks.com

Chevylover
04-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Or have a look at http://www.lmctruck.com

Cu,
Sven