PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Drain

Sundance
09-16-2008, 11:21 AM
My 1995 3500HD has a mystery battery drain. If it sits for
a month it won't turn over.

There are few options on this model and I am wondering if
there are any "usual suspects" to start looking at??

Thanks

Garth J
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Disconnect the battery and look for a spark when you touch the cabe to the post.

Or it could be the battery also

JD_countryboy
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Bad batt will do that. Won't keep charged if not charged often. Get them load tesed, usually they will fail.

trukdoc
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
...have correct battery...and not just one that "works"...batts list reserve capacity for a reason..what sterio what amps...disconnect both grounds and put dmm inseries with cable to detect total drain..then start unplugin stuff start with sterio upgrades...

hraney
09-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Had a similar issue on my 97 Crew cab. Check under the driver's side door sill. There was a wire connection under mine that went to the dome light. It had corroded (too much moisture, cow manure, etc.) and was starting to ground out.
Also, check the glove box light and make sure it is going out when you close the glove box. I have had those get "bumped" to the point that they stayed on all the time.

Sundance
09-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Great suggestions!! I'll check them out this weekend.

The truck has only the bare set up. No stereo, etc.

The batteries were new last year. Manufacture 11/07
but I know they can go bad regardless.

trukdoc
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
...buy batts by application?..reserve capacity important especially if rig sits a lot...if res cap not sufficiant batts will leach down over time...computors,digital memory in radio all require jucie to hold memory...