PDA

View Full Version : Antilock brake problems

bigde53
11-20-2008, 11:43 AM
All summer my antilock brakes would kick in for a sec or two as you came to a stop. I thought it was because my rear tires were wore more than the front. I got new tires last week and no differance in fact it has got only worse to the point the pump was cycling when rolling without my foot on the brake pedel. I took the fuse out to stop it. The only thing I could think of is maybe a wheel sensor is bad but wouldnt that make the antilock brake light come on it has never came on until I pulled the fuse

Husker 6.5
11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a faulty wheel speed sensor. Pull the codes from the antilock computer (NOT the ECM). The factory shop manual has the procedure, Haynes/Chilton parts store books don't. You'll most likely need a Tech 2 scanner for your OBD II system. My mechanic was able to pull codes by jumping terminals on the connector and reading the flashes on the AB dash indicator on my 94.

Husker 6.5

mapleridge
11-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I see you have a plow so you are probably in what GM calls the salt belt. There is a recall on this issue on some of the gm 4x4s, not sure what years it affects. What it describes is the front wheel sensors in the wheel hub either rust or collect rust and at low speed, less than 5 MPH, activate the ABS system. I don't believe any codes come up. I found it on the net and it had the dealer pull the sensor, clean them and put some type of preservative on the tip. My father has an 01 2500HD and it is doing it also. I am probably going to tear it apart myself since rumor has it that once GM tears it apart, they tell you that you need new rotors and try to get about a grand out of you. Probably right since Ford tried to get $800 out of my wife for a brake job on the rear of the Windstar. Wheel cylender and a set of shoes, $50. Now they are trying the same trick on Congress...

bigde53
11-21-2008, 02:34 AM
More like the rust belt!! I do what I can to keep her in one piece.
I have a buddy that has a antilock brake scanner but I don't know if it will tell me anything I think it's made by actron.If it is in the front im not messing with it cause I replaced a hub once and it sucked but where is the wheel sensor for the back?

95Yukon
11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
The sensors are not hard to replace, maybe 20 minutes each side. You just have to pull the caliper and rotor and you should be able to get a socket through the holes in the hub to pull the bolts out. Hardest part is pulling the brakes.

bigde53
11-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Antilock sensor on mine is part of the hub big pain to change I did at 80k now at 120k should still be ok besides the hubs are big money I think may be in back somewhere just no time to mess with it maybe at xmas time just found out my job will be shut down for 3 weeks so lots of time unless it snows alot I can only hope I make more plowing than at my day job anyway.