PDA

View Full Version : Heated Mirrors

MAGNUM SERVICES
12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a 96 Sierra 2500 ext. cab 8ft. bed 6.5 "F" motor truck that I plow snow with. It has electric mirrors but NOT heated. I am looking into buying the CIPA adjustable towing mirrors but would like to upgrade to heated if possible. I know some Suburbans came with heated mirrors factory but the switch to operate them was also connected to the rear window defogger. Has anybody done an upgrade like this ? Should I look for a donor vehicle for the wiring harness and switch ? ANY and ALL replies will be GREATLY appreciated ! Thanks, Keith

Garth J
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Keith
I have the electric Cipa mirrors on my truck but not heated.
I think the easiest thing to do would be run a switch operated seperate wire for the heater circuit ..Changing the harness would be a big pain.
You might want to check and see if there is a seperate heater wire hiding inside the door .There isnt on mine. You might get lucky...Garth

MAGNUM SERVICES
12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Thats what I wanted to hear as far as running one wire to make the heat work. I have a manual on my truck but the wiring diagrams do NOT show anything about wires for the power mirrors. I know some Tahoes and Suburbans came with heated mirrors and thought about salvaging the wiring harness's for my truck then upgrading to the CIPA mirrors. Thanks for the reply, Keith

MAGNUM SERVICES
12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Just recieved an e-mail from CIPA and they said their plug is the same for heated and non heated and a friend of mine who was a dealer mechanic for 15 years said the wire for heat should be in the electric mirror harness so it should just be a matter of wiring in a switch after finding the end of the heater wire under the dash.

Garth J
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Get a wiring diagram that will be the easiest

Barnabus
12-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Do you currently have mirrors that have the element for heating. If not can you remove the glass to gain access to the back of the mirror. Ni-Chrome wire bonded to the back of a mirror will perform nicely.

Garth J
12-05-2008, 02:10 AM
NO heater on mine and I had a look at removing the glass to install a turn signal and couldnt see any way to get inside with out damaging the glass so I gave up...Garth

MAGNUM SERVICES
12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Garth J and Barnabus, Thank for the info. Keith

Violator
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Most all the dashes are wired for all options. Just a matter of finding the plug in the loom somewhere. We even have a DRL off switch that is for police tahoes. More cost effective for the factory to wire all the dashes the same.