PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug controller question

JD_countryboy
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Alrighty, what tells the glow plug controller to come on, and what tells it how long to stay on? As the weather gets warmer ( 60*-70*) My glow plug light will come on for less time. Saturday nite I went on a 35 mile drive, shut truck off for an hour, and when i went to restart,(65*f on the bank clock) the glow plug light wouldnt come on, even after turnin key on and off a few times, and truck would just crank with out a hint of tryin to fire. It was dark so i couldnt tell if any smoke was commin out the tailpipe while crankin. I held throttle to floar for a bit and finally after about the third 30 sec crank attempt it finally just came to life like nothin was wrong. Took the truck for a drive tonight (approx50*f) and tried to get it to malfunction again, and was unable to do it. Each time the glow plug light came on and fired rite up. Thanks for any input.

95suburb
05-21-2009, 03:24 AM
i had the same problem. The glow plug relay tells the glow plugs when to come on and for how long. I replaced my glow plugs and and my truck still didnt start. So i took one glow plug out, grounded it on a bolt and turned the key, the light never came on and the glow plug stayed cold. I bought and installed a new relay, took the glow plug out again, grounded it and it lit right up, havnt had any starting issues since. The relay is located on the driver side firewall. hope this helps any.

JD_countryboy
05-30-2009, 07:35 PM
I threw out my old controller and substituted a push button and starter solenoid in its place. I Now have control of when and how long my gp's run. Total investment, $15 and less then 30 min. No problems since.

trukdoc
06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
...controller,it's going bad...that might be the only warning it gives...push-button works ok till someone stays on it tooooo long and fries a set of glo-plugs...