PDA

View Full Version : Solid axel conversion

TurboK1500
08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I want to convert my 95 k1500 to a solid front axel. I have seen a few trucks with this done. Does anyone have any info on how to do this ? What kind od modifications have to be made etc...

Stumped
08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Off Road Unlimited has a kit.Its a little more involved than I thought it would be......

JD_countryboy
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Ive been debating such a swap. I'm thinkin its easyier to get an older straight axle frame and just swap the newer body onto the straight axel frame. I have a couple straight axel trucks/ frames in my barn but havent got the time yet to start doing the required measurein for body mount placements. the newer (gmt 400) ifs frames are a bit wider and taper from front to rear, but i think it wouldnt be much od a problem to simply make new body mounts to put on the older frame to accept the new body.

BIG JEEP
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
i just did my 95 3500

BIG JEEP
09-20-2009, 11:35 AM
it is alot of work but i made my brackets

2500burb
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Ive done a few of these its relatively simple bolt on stuff. ORU and Offroad Direct all make great stuff its just a matter of tracking down a high pinion dana 60 out of an old f350. they use 73-87 chevy leafs so everythings easy to come by. Between the manual hubs and the big old ford brakes its worth every penny if you want to beef up your truck.

qwkphkr
02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
How can I tell if the front is IFS or solid axle?

ZiGBlazer
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Straight axle, will look just like what it sounds like; a straight line between the wheels with the differential off to one side, kinda like the rear axle but able to steer. Springs, either coil or leaf, will sit on top of the axle. When one wheel goes up over a bump it tilts the other wheel because they are held in a straight line with each other.

IFS will look like 2wd front, A-arms on each side, differential tucked up inside the frame, CV shafts going to each wheel that move up and down with wheel travel. Chevy always used torsion bars in their IFS setups, so you'll see no coil or leaf springs. One wheel can move "Independently" of the other, hence the Independent Front Suspension.

okie65
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
ill be doin this to my burb. its an 88 1/2ton but im putting it on a 94 3/4. so it has the ifs now but when i found the heaver frame i also found a dana 60 out of a junk ferd! ill be doin off road umlimiteds coil over conversion on it. i hope!

jd mech
02-06-2010, 07:55 PM
just did it to my 93 gas 1/2. Not tooo difficult. I built my own front cross member and used spring mounts and shackles from an 85 3/4 ton for the rear of the sas. i used a ford dana 44 to keep my orginal t-case. What ever u do br sure to get a front axle out of a leaf sprung truck. I used a coile suspended axle out of a bronco. Made it a lil more difficult for spring perch placement.