PDA

View Full Version : Posi/Limited Slip...any difference?

young_gun
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Could someone explain if Posi and limited slip are the same thing?, and how they operate. Everyone I talk to seems to have a different take on the subject..but I trust you guys to set it straight.

wyo6.5
02-27-2007, 11:33 PM
No difference, just different terms for the same thing. I believe the term Posi-traction originated from Ford in the late sixties.

christja
02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
ditto to wyo6.5

sixnickel
02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Posi trac and limited slip diff. are like FSD/PMD some thing! A Detroit Locker as a differrent animal though. The PT/LSD is much better for every day use and will get you through everv thing unless you get crazy. If you get crazy all time then you might want the Detroit Locker. But they will drive you nut on pavement because they will bang, snap, make all kinds of noise going around corners. I have 4 Internationals at work with Detroit Lockers and all the drivers do complain about the noise. THey think something is blowing up but thay have been doing this for hundreds of thousands of miles!

young_gun
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for confirming that....and how does the limited slip work?
I've heard:
a) when one wheel spins it locks both together so they both turn until traction is gained again

b)only the wheel with traction will turn

c) both wheels turn evenly only when going straight

grancito
03-05-2007, 01:55 AM
The diff has clutches on the drive spiders that are controled by a system that detects that one axel is turning much faster than the other, so it locks the diff. I had to remove the system on my 82 6.2 because it would enguage when turning in the city.