PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug light not working.....no start!!!

tuffguy31
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I am having a problem with my 1995 HD mason dump Gmc 3500. It is running the 6.5L turbo diesel.
My problem is the day before this happening I jump in the truck turn the ignition glow plug light comes on like it should and it starts right up......perfect!! 2 days go by and during these 2 days it gets close to zero and I had the truck plugged in but later find out the heater is not working.
Jump in the truck turn on ignition and immedialy realize glow plug does not come on, go to crank engine and she wont fire up.....I figure the batteries need a charge so I throw them on the charger overnight put them back in the truck and no glow plug light so no start......Here is where You guys come in, first what could it be? second what battery runs the Glow plugs? What is the big red button on the driverside that sits in front of the steering wheel on the firewall and the button has 150 on it and it seems like you can push it to reset something???? Also I checked the glow plug fuse and it is not burned out. I was wondering if the battery is not fully charged would that avoid the glow plugs from turning on???

This is my first deisel so bare with me for asking all the questions!!!

My truck has 98,000 miles on it by the way!!

Please help

trukdoc
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
...button is indeed a circuit breaker for what I couldn't tell you cause I didn't install it...now you say the glo lite did not come on...question did ANY of the dash indicator lites{oil water glopluglite abs lite}come on?????95 is first year change of ignition switch pre-95{94back}switch mounted on column @halfway down and operated witha rod operated by key mechanically...95up all electrical wiring for ignition switch under lower trim panel at steering wheel...TWO{2} power circuits -one{1} runs start/run...second{2}runs accessory side of switch{radio,a/c,heater,etc.}...I sound like a broke record but with the electrical problem you describe it's worth checking out...jd

tuffguy31
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
yes all lights light when ignition is turned on except gloplug light so I am guessing it is definately a glo plug ignition switch problem

JD_countryboy
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Push the red button and see what happens. Sounds like previous owners has done nom "riggin" to something. Where do the wires go to and from this deveice?

tuffguy31
01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
from battery to harness behind engine from what I can see

Stumped
01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
my ex wife had a button that I used to push almost daily...seriously though..is it a breaker for the lift? Mine is electric/hyd and has a dash mounted breaker

tuffguy31
01-24-2010, 01:58 PM
bought a glow plug controller from autozone.....installed it and truck fired right up......Wow that was easy fix. Thanks all for your help!!!

Garth J
01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
my ex wife had a button that I used to push almost daily...seriously though..is it a breaker for the lift? Mine is electric/hyd and has a dash mounted breaker

Some times we tend to push the wrong buttons..nuff said

M123KT-450
01-26-2010, 07:12 AM
glad you got it going :D

Mine did then same thing The fuel heater shorted out :mad:

Some thing you might wanna replace ahead of time ;)

Mike

tuffguy31
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM
how easy is the heater you plug in to replace and where is this thing located???

ZiGBlazer
01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Its in the fuel filter canister. Comes in from the bottom, basically just like filter from the top. Just unbolt and pull off fuel lines and pull the whole canister out. The heater o-ring is the common, air in/fuel out, leak that causes hard starting.