PDA

View Full Version : are the glow plugs the problem

bigcountry
03-11-2007, 11:36 PM
I am have a problem with my electrical for a few days now it started a few days ago my lights and accesorys seemed very dim while the glow plugs warmed but the truck cranked and started like normal it done that again before I got back home so i tried it again at home and the tip of a glow plug blew off so I have orderd new glow plugs and controller from ss
now yesterday while i am driving three times my volt gauge droped to nothing everything worked fine just dimmer after 1 min the gauge come back on and all was normal anyone have some ideas on this

hraney
03-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a ground somewhere. I am having the "dim lights" issue on my 97 K3500 Crew. I cleaned all the grounds and it got better for a while. Now it is not as bad as it was but lights are dimming again. I now plan on replacing the battery cables w/ bigger ones and may go w/ top post terminals as well. Also I will replace chassis grounds and such while I am in there.
My problem doesn't sound as bad as yours, but grounds would be a good place to start.

sixnickel
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I agree with every thing Hraney said but just for grins and giggles check the stacked positive terminal on the right side battery. But remember my golden rule! If things make sense you can check the positive side.But if it acts wacky makes no sense checks the GROUNDS!! Grounds will get you every time!!!