PDA

View Full Version : Correct gauge for battery wiring

markmc
08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Guys, I need your help on this one. Going through the process of upgrading the lousy original battery wiring in the truck. I'm trying to confirm what gauge wires run between battery to battery and to the starter. Anyone know what kind of amperage this circut see's? Are these 4 gauge or 2 gauge using the american wire gauge standard?

I'd appreciat the help.

Husker 6.5
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Guys, I need your help on this one. Going through the process of upgrading the lousy original battery wiring in the truck. I'm trying to confirm what gauge wires run between battery to battery and to the starter. Anyone know what kind of amperage this circut see's? Are these 4 gauge or 2 gauge using the american wire gauge standard?

I'd appreciat the help.

My stock ones are 4 ga. Really cold Nebraska winter morning, possible to be pulling 500+ amps with glowplug override on when cranking. I am planning to go to 1/0 ga. between batteries, and to the starter. Along with this, upgrade ALL your grounds to heavier straps/double them with stock ones. I have already upped the alt to battery wire to 6 ga. after installing a HO alt. (unfortunately my tach's reading fast after the alt install).

Husker 6.5

markmc
08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks Husker. looks like we're headed in the same direction. I'm up in NH and when it gets to be -12 outside, I want somthing that was designed to do the job. Not easy to get it spinning fast at that temprature. Grounds do indeed appear to play a big role in these trucks, particullarly w/ the two battery set up.

Where's a good resource for 2 or 1/0 gauge wire? My usual race part resources only go to 4 gauge. I guess nobody is running a 6.5 Diesel out on the track!

RJFEJF
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
ihad batt problems last winter, went to 2/0 marine cables,zinc coated,heat shrink all ends, get rid of stacked posts w/screwin top posts, lug terminal ends for drv side batt to pass side batt same for cable to starter, 2/0 to all ground connections, clean all ground pts. dielectric grease all connections,marine cable guy said cables used for welders even better thinner strands, electrons run over strands not thru them. cable more flexable.steady 14v w/all lights on,14+v w/no lights & accessories on. new ss glow plugs, fires right up.:)

markmc
08-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Guys,

RJFEJF, when you say; get rid of stacked posts w/screwin top posts, lug terminal ends for drv side batt to pass side batt same for cable to starter, 2/0 to all ground connections, clean all ground pts.

Do you mean to say you got rid of your top post battery? If so, what sort of cable end connectors are you using? How are you attaching these to the battery? I plan on using the connector type ( file attached).

Garth J
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Thats a good connector ,,,drill a 3/16 hole in the centre where the wire goes in then after the wire is installed use a propane torch and melt solder into the hole and use lots of it let it run out the ends and then you will have a good connection and less chance of corrosion ...Garth

RJFEJF
08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
i got rid of stacked side terminals and screwed in top mount posts into the side mounts creating a top mount terminals. that is a good connector you got there. i put a lug connector on the batt end of starter cable same as the one that connects to the starter side, and same on the cable from + driverside batt to + pass side batt, then attached lugs at battery terminal on the bolt that tightens the terminal on the battery post. otherwise i would have used the same connecter as you show. napa was out of those and it would take 7 days for one to come in. you know i couldn't wait:D . as said solder real good. some come with solder pellet. also advise heat shrink ends if you live by ocean or in winter weather, also use dielectric grease on all clean contact pts.

markmc
08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'll keep all this in mind. It seems getting rid of the lousy stamped metal side connections is a basic requirement. When ever I get all this back together I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks again