SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Oil slick on top of coolant reservoir

Default Oil slick on top of coolant reservoir

Fellas

I've been looking into changing over to a diesel for quite some time, Just a couple of weeks ago made the jump. Looks like I may have made a big mistake on the particular rig I chose, 93 6.5 turbo 2500. I would have preferred to make my first post here asking questions about performance upgrades instead of possible major mech. issues.

First odd sign to arise, was bubbling in the coolant reservoir. Thought no problem, radiator cap just needs replaced. Temp was running fine, never really noticed it overheat, got a little high on a couple of small idle sessions. but would drop upon movement. The bastard mechanic / supposedly reputable dealership I bought it from, claimed it was a sealed system and it was normal to bubble. Shows how reputable they are. Anyway, changed the cap, topped radiator off, as it was only 3/4 full. bubbling persisted. Drove it hunting just one day with the new cap, checked that afternoon, And now I have an oil slick on the top of my radiator reservoir.

So probably a head gasket? Or does one say hopefully just a gasket and not a head/block? It did have a bit of white smoke beyond the usual startup idle that last day I ran it. So did driving it with the gurgling reservoir, cause the problem? Was it an air lock, and the system needed bled? What does a fella do now? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Lemon law probably won't cover a 15 year old truck w/ 150k on it?

Thanks

Brad

Doesn't sound good. What about the oil? Any color change or anything noticed in the pan when you pull the dipstick? If your dealership was as ballless as the one i used to work for, u might be able to chew him out and threaten lemon law and they would at least split the bill if you only had the vehicle a super short time. Had that happen once. Good luck.
    93 chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 4l80e auto
    Custom flatbed with foldaway gooseneck ball
    SSDiesel DB2 injector pump marine injectors
    Upgraded turbo ( no id tag but lots of boost)
    SSDiesel 4" exhaust, no muffler, SS crossover
    Rebuilt 4l80e tranny Transgo stage 2 shift kit
    rebuilt HD torque converter
    4x4 Posi Lock
    Opened up air box, stock filter
    Boost, Pyro, Tranny gauges in A-pillar
    Cowl hood, all new paint.
    SS Diesel Cooling upgrade, single tstat Dmax fan,
    '98 HO waterpump.

Head or head gasket problem for sure!!!!!
    Grant H.
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 HD suburban "F" VIN FSD heat sync #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, no cat, mechanical waste gate, 220,000 miles, 4L80E Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Doesn't sound good. I was hoping to read that the tranny fluid was low. I had a 1996 Yukon that in the expansion tank turned a pepto bismol color with oily crap on top and the tranny fluid was low but no leaks, and it was the trans. cooler that is in the radiator.

Cool

be vary care full who you take it to the 6.5 td is known for cracking heads , i work on a fleet of vans with this engine in it (and own a truck with this engine )
    ASE CERTIFIED AUTOMOBILE TECHNICIAN, TEAM ASE

96 GMC 2500 6.5 td ex cab 3in engine pipe 4in exaust no muff /4x4/for sale
    87 mclss 350.040 over 450hp got to love it 11.5:1comp
    83 camaro z28 ttop 49100 mi no rust #s matching

Even though its bad news, Thanks for the info guys, When you say to be careful of cracking a head, what part of the process or exactly where do I need to be careful. I was planning on doing the job myself, unless you talk me out of it.

Still does anyone have any idea about the bubbling reservoir? would that have caused the head gasket to go?

Bubbles in the coolant reservoir usually indicate blown head gasket,(in any Engine) I think the damage was done before you got it, and it is just getting worse.
    1994 Silverado 3500, 4X4,("F" Engine code) 8' minute mount,160 amp alternator, modified SS Diesel intake with S&B filter, American Racing Diamondbacks,265/75/16/E General Grabber AT2's,Turbomaster, Delphi Lift Pump, 60G glow Plugs, Manual Glow Plug Override,D-tech PMD mounted in bumper, Stanadyne performance formula additive (19 MPG Highway) 172,500 K miles so far....

Cracked heads cause bubbles in the coolant, but don't usually put oil in there, blown head gasket is most likely, could have overheated at some time, cheaper than a new head.
    Grant H.
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 HD suburban "F" VIN FSD heat sync #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, no cat, mechanical waste gate, 220,000 miles, 4L80E Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Cool

if you are doing the heads youre self take them to a machine shop and have them checked , cracks,valves,ect its cheep ins
    ASE CERTIFIED AUTOMOBILE TECHNICIAN, TEAM ASE

96 GMC 2500 6.5 td ex cab 3in engine pipe 4in exaust no muff /4x4/for sale
    87 mclss 350.040 over 450hp got to love it 11.5:1comp
    83 camaro z28 ttop 49100 mi no rust #s matching

thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Anything else I should watch out for or replace while I'm that far in?