SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMD Heat Exchanger

Default PMD Heat Exchanger

I have been thinking for a while now that a good way of removing the heat from the PMD is to screw it to a fuel heat exchanger. Most highway trucks already use them to cool the computer on the side of the engine. I was thinking that if something were put on the back of the PMD that fuel going to the engine could be pumped through it, it should take the heat away with the fuel. It would also be less effected by high under hood temps.
    1996 GMC C2500
    Intake
    Marine Injectors
    3" Down pipe with dual 5" Stacks
    Instant Heat Glow Plugs
    Triple Pillar Mount Gauges

Default There's always a hard way...

GM tried that, remember? They mounted the PMD on the Injection pump so the fuel could keep it cool. That worked until you shut off the engine... no circulating fuel, no heat removal. Ergo, it bakes.

The process is called Heat Soak. The PMD takes more of a beating when the engine is OFF than when it's ON.

Personally, I think instead of inventing some expensive, complicated thing to try and keep it from being "effected by high under hood temps", you should just get it out from under the hood.

Oh yeah. Heath already did that.

True, they did mount it on the side of the injection pump, but I don't think there is going to be much cooling under the intake. Especially with a cast iron block around it, but if it were moved I don't see a reason the PMD would cook itself once it was removed from the engine valley. Especially if you had cool fuel runnign through the back of it.
    1996 GMC C2500
    Intake
    Marine Injectors
    3" Down pipe with dual 5" Stacks
    Instant Heat Glow Plugs
    Triple Pillar Mount Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by 962500 View Post
    True, they did mount it on the side of the injection pump, but I don't think there is going to be much cooling under the intake. Especially with a cast iron block around it, but if it were moved I don't see a reason the PMD would cook itself once it was removed from the engine valley. Especially if you had cool fuel runnign through the back of it.
    I don't think you could argue that point except that it's cheaper and easier to just get it away from the engine heat.
    94 GMC K3500 4x4 crew cab; Ditech PMD, 6' remote harness,# 9 resistor, home made dual heat sink mounted in front bumper($8), AFE stage 2 cold air induction,3" down pipe, 4" exhaust, turbo master, Banks boost gauge

I think it would be a good idea. Even if you get it out and away from the engine heat the driver itself produces a great deal of heat on it's own. I have mine mounted on the frame rail just in front of the lift pump, so running fuel under or around it would just be a matter of finding the right hardware. Electronics can always benefit from cooler temps.
    1996 GMC K3500 Crew Cab Dually Long Box-4.10 Posi- Full Triple Pillar Gauges- Marine Injectors- #9 Resistor- Electronic Boost Controller- PMD Relocated- More Later

Quote Originally Posted by firetruck View Post
    I think it would be a good idea. Even if you get it out and away from the engine heat the driver itself produces a great deal of heat on it's own. I have mine mounted on the frame rail just in front of the lift pump, so running fuel under or around it would just be a matter of finding the right hardware. Electronics can always benefit from cooler temps.
    you could get a 12 volt fridge from a wrecked rv and hook it up inside of it. but better off buying a heatsink from a guy who has a 7 year warranty against failure. in the long run it's what i'd do. even if you had, say a hollowed out ip, you will still deal with the heat soak no matter where you mount it as there are no cooling fins on it for after engine shut down. Ed
    1998 gmc dually. remote pmd under bumper, 4 inch warpspeed exhaust and 2.25 inch x-over, heath diesel t/m, heath diesel hp4, heath diesel HO injectors, up next i/c and 18-1's......

Thumbs up Roflmfgao

Quote Originally Posted by edzzed View Post
    you could get a 12 volt fridge from a wrecked rv and hook it up inside of it. but better off buying a heatsink from a guy who has a 7 year warranty against failure. in the long run it's what i'd do. even if you had, say a hollowed out ip, you will still deal with the heat soak no matter where you mount it as there are no cooling fins on it for after engine shut down. Ed

12-volt fridge... I like that.

Interesting............. All standard refrigerators require a heat source to change the physical state of the refrigerant.

Based on that........... Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to make a small fridge box for the cab whose cooling system ran on the heat of the PMD?? It would cool the PMD and the heat would create cold for the fridge. Perhaps one that would fit where the glove box is?? Or between the front bucket seats??

Please............ some engineer type get on this.
    1995 Chevy 3500 6.5 TD
    *Heath 80 HP chip
    *Warp Speed 4" Exhaust
    *Bully Dog Pillar gauges
    *Cooling Fan Upgrade
    *Air Cleaner Upgrade
    *Turbo Master

1995 GMC 3500HD 6.5 TD 16 foot Flatbed
    *NV4500 Trany Recent Rebuild
    *Glow Plug Upgrade
    *4" Heartthrob Exhaust w/no muffler (turbo back)

1981 VW PickUp (Caddy) (48 MPG)
    *Drop in Turbo D engine
    *15 gallon tank
    *81,000 original miles on body

1986 VW Jetta Turbo D (42 MPG)
    *Rebuilt Trany
    *190,000 with one family

Good idea, glove box beer cooler, Garth will want one of those for summer. Cheers Garth, the beer in Mexico is still good.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Beer here is good to and really cold right now might even get some snow tonight to keep it colder
    Hoping to get down that way next winter for a month or so ...G