SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truck missing and sputtering under acceleration

Default truck missing and sputtering under acceleration

hello all,i have a 1994 chevy 6.5 turbo and having a fuel problem i think.the darn thing will start to miss or sputter during accelleration and some times it won't do it for a little while after driving for a period.also if you get down on it ,the truck will start to sputter and miss, like it needs fuel or something.at times when it happens i try to mash on it and it lacks power and sputters more and i already replaced the pmd with the heat sync,and changed my fuel filter,and just bought a new lift pump. Also when the truck acted up the other day i was able to get it to a save haven before she shut off,so i went and pulled the fuel filter out and noticed that i had about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fuel in the bottom and i thought that was to remain full of fuel . please help me in diagnosing this problem.tired of spending money on things that arn't helping........ thank you,,,, Roadrunner
    Last edited by blipsky001; 07-19-2008 at 04:08 PM.

First check that the lift pump is functioning when the engine is running, if not the oil pressure sender that also makes the pump run could have failed. If the pump runs, then there is air getting into the fuel line before the lift pump.
    Grant H.
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 HD suburban "F" VIN FSD heat sync #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, no cat, mechanical waste gate, 220,000 miles, 4L80E Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Quote Originally Posted by grancito View Post
    First check that the lift pump is functioning when the engine is running, if not the oil pressure sender that also makes the pump run could have failed. If the pump runs, then there is air getting into the fuel line before the lift pump.
    where is the oil pressure sender at or located and how can i tell if bad

It is behind the fuel filter, down in the valley, it angles out of the drivers side of the block towards the passenger side. Start the engine and listen for the vibrating sound of the pump under the vehicle below the driver seat. If no noise, remove the plastic cover on the fire wall passenger side, pull the fuse out, and check it. Then connect one of the bolts that are under there to the connection in the fuse holder, try one then the other. If pump is OK, it will run without the ignition on. If it only runs using this method, then the oil pressure sender is the problem. To confirm this, unplug the connection to the OPS, and connect a paper clip across the 2 outer connections of the plug, pump should run with the ignition off.
    Grant H.
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 HD suburban "F" VIN FSD heat sync #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, no cat, mechanical waste gate, 220,000 miles, 4L80E Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Have a look to the attached pic. If the liftpump runs, it's most the OPS that failed. If replace with a AC Delco /original part only ! Most others brand will fail again after a few month. There is a lot of information about this and other things at "D-Place".

Cu,
    Sven
    Attached Images Attached Images

Germany ? No thank's ! Anybody here, who offers a job incl. greencard/work permit ? - USA or Canada, it would be a pleasure to immigrate !

1995 Chevrolet K2500 Ext.Cab SB, FSD-Cooler, 3" Rancho Suspension Lift, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Warp Speed Performance 4" Exhaust, Custom K&N Intake, 285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain with 8x16 Alcoa's, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Deezee Bullbar, Stepbars, Lunarvisor, Roll-N-Lock Bedcover, Softtopper Bed Extender, Truck Nuts and much more ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chevylover View Post
    Have a look to the attached pic. If the liftpump runs, it's most the OPS that failed. If replace with a AC Delco /original part only ! Most others brand will fail again after a few month. There is a lot of information about this and other things at "D-Place".

Cu,
    Sven
    There is no connection to pin F
    Grant H.

I agree with Grant's method, bridge the outer 2 connections on the Oil Pressure sender harness and see if the pump runs then. If it runs then, the OPS or the harness are bad.... and, as sven said, Use an AC Delco unit for sender. My local NAPA had the oil sender connector as a pigtail in stock when I needed one. The female connection in the connector had spread and did not make contact with the sender, even with new sender in place.
    1994 Silverado 3500, 4X4,("F" Engine code) 8' minute mount,160 amp alternator, modified SS Diesel intake with S&B filter, American Racing Diamondbacks,265/75/16/E General Grabber AT2's,Turbomaster, Delphi Lift Pump, 60G glow Plugs, Manual Glow Plug Override,D-tech PMD mounted in bumper, Stanadyne performance formula additive (19 MPG Highway) 172,500 K miles so far....

by the way, blipsky, it would be easier on all if you filled out your signature..... Go to the top left Icon, User CP, and you will figure it out, I am sure.....
    1994 Silverado 3500, 4X4,("F" Engine code) 8' minute mount,160 amp alternator, modified SS Diesel intake with S&B filter, American Racing Diamondbacks,265/75/16/E General Grabber AT2's,Turbomaster, Delphi Lift Pump, 60G glow Plugs, Manual Glow Plug Override,D-tech PMD mounted in bumper, Stanadyne performance formula additive (19 MPG Highway) 172,500 K miles so far....

i need to check my signature
    I am debaiting new heads as well, any thoughts
    1995 K2500 4X4 long box 250K and loving it more every day
    Heath chip, manual turbo controler, crossover pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by grancito View Post
    There is no connection to pin F
    On the pic , you're right, there is no pin in, BUT in a OBD-1 6.5TD truck IT IS A PIN IN "F". Have a look !

Picture is NOT taken from a diesel truck, only for showing purpose !
    Explanation IS for 6.5 TD Engine !

Cu,
    Sven

Germany ? No thank's ! Anybody here, who offers a job incl. greencard/work permit ? - USA or Canada, it would be a pleasure to immigrate !

1995 Chevrolet K2500 Ext.Cab SB, FSD-Cooler, 3" Rancho Suspension Lift, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Warp Speed Performance 4" Exhaust, Custom K&N Intake, 285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain with 8x16 Alcoa's, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Deezee Bullbar, Stepbars, Lunarvisor, Roll-N-Lock Bedcover, Softtopper Bed Extender, Truck Nuts and much more ...