SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disgruntled sixfivediesel owners

I believe the 4911 just has a diff calibration.I kmow the part throttle timing cam is different profile(I changed the 6.2 cam out for the 6.5) and something about the tranfer pmp piston diameter(a few mm) but phys are the same size I believe.The pmp I have is a Stanadyne DB 2 4911 J code application 1992-3 6.5 turbo VIN F no emissions
    Last edited by Stumped; 11-18-2008 at 06:28 PM.
    still driving stuff with an 8 track,not switching to those newfangled cassettes thingys...... I cant find anything since I moved all my junk

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmoke View Post
    I wish you were right on that Husker. Get out those reading glasses!
    You're right, I'm wrong. Got my new reading glasses, too! I hate having all this stuff floating around in my mind, these over 40 moments drive me nuts, and 50 is around the corner! Yet, I have personal knowledge of DB2 6.5's that are putting down 230-240 hp at the rear wheels on a dyno, which means they're running about 260-70 hp at the crank. DB2's have been turned up, no other pump mods, marine injectors, intake, 4" exhaust. With rotor and housing mods they will support 400 hp (but the 6.5 motor may not, fatal bottom end/headbolt failure).

Do you know which pump works best if you were shooting for those h/power #s? I have a decent collection,but most are 2829 and 1 good 4911,1 worn 4911.
    still driving stuff with an 8 track,not switching to those newfangled cassettes thingys...... I cant find anything since I moved all my junk

4911 for 92-93 6.5T. Just turning the screw in and tuning via EGT with adding marine injectors should get you another 40 hp easily, with intake and exhaust, further tuning will get you to about 80 hp. A competent diesel shop (preferably Stanadyne approved repair) with an experienced Stanadyne/Roostamaster tech should be able to mod your IP. Essentially, by increasing the transfer volume, you then increase the volume and duration of the injection pulse - thus more hp.

Doug (Sixnickel) is really good with the mechanical pumps, he has a lot of years experience with them. PM him for further assistance.

Husker 6.5

Personally,I think the bad rap is good for us.I can get a whole truck for what a used motor of the other brands sell for.I would bet 90% of the i/ps replaced are good.For some unknown reason,the 2nd battery seems neglected(clean terminals ect) so the same goes for bad starters.The OPS IS the main failure point on the engine support end.If there are any fuel leaks after the lift,bad ops makes system pull air(ie i/p pulls fuel instead of having it pushed to it) then timing adv all the way.Then the main webbing in the block gives due to increased cyl pressure and the timing event being off.Just cause she wasnt leaking fuel out doesnt mean anything.Air molecules are smaller than fuel,air can get in where fuel couldnt get out.I deal with it daily at work.Our equip test for 5 diff gasses.A small air leak sometimes will let the smaller moleculed c1-3 gasses leak right out,while holding the larger c 4-5 molecules trapped inside test column.I am off to rescue yet another truck today with rotted fuel system and brake lines.$800 for the truck with 92,000 miles and a nice brown interior.That 454 is outta there.
    Last edited by Stumped; 11-23-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Default bad rap

Like I have said before.If you know them 6.2/6.5s you got to love them. But if you don't know them and nobody around ya does ether, I guess you got to hate them. Our gain !!!
    Doug Martin - Cape Cod, MA

2000 K3500 SRW 6.5TD, FSD Heat Sync, 80hp ssd-computer, 4" aluminized exhaust,ssd Marine Injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges, Gear Venders under/overdrive unit

1999 K1500 Suburban 6.5TD, FSD Cooler, 40hp BD Computer, ssd Fuel-miser injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges

1991 V1500 Suburban 6.2TD, Banks Sidewinder turbo package, 6.5TD heads, 6.5TD injectors (It thinks its a 6.5 Turbo Diesel)

I know there's alot of guys that like 6.5's, and I'll agree it isn't the worst, but if I had a truck with a 454, it'd stay... Our neighbor's 454 Vortec would run circles around my 6.5 and doesn't really consume much more fuel than my 6.5 under a similar load.....
    -Matt

Ahh the smell of Diesel Fuel, it's like coffee in the morning!

My Car:

1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel (240,000 miles!)

My Trucks:

1995 Chevy C1500 4x2 6.5L TD (183,000 miles) Soon to be Cummins
    1988 Chevy C3500 Cummins, Billet Auto. 500+hp/1000+ lb/ft torque. Twin turbos.
    1950 Chevy Loadmaster 2 Ton - Future Cummins Pulling truck.

Its a 95 1 ton HD 3500 2wd straight axle with the NV4500.It the new gen 454 and wont get out of its own way.It does get decent mileage(bout 14-15 out on the road) with the mesh Tommy Lift gate and the cattle racks.Honestly,if you let the gate down on the chains(not up)its like night and day on power.I never was happy with the way the gears are spaced in that NV either.The 2-3 spread is annoying at best.I thought if I found a 92-93 cluster and harness and pull the electronic pump off I could stick that 6.5 in.The last one I got has really bad rust on the motor and pulleys ect and didnt want to use it.This one didnt sit as long.Im not starting it until I change the oil and fuel filter.We towed her home today.I cant EVER get a GM8,always 3-5s.

By the way,you ever fooled with the vacume pump(put the o-ring kit in) on that Mercedes 300?I have one sitting at my brothers house with the vac system out.I would love to get it going,but it made it to the back burner.Has a killer 5 cyl turbo diesel.Its keeping the trans from shifting properly,so we left it parked.

For the most part, that swhy anything gets a bad rap. the guys running it, just dont know how to operatit it properly, and surely donmt know how to fix and or maintain. Im lovin my 6.5 more evertime i drive it. Pissed me off a bit earlier today when the started suddenly just up and quit. Had it towd 40 miles back home. New starter and it spins over faster then ever now. So maybe the old one was wore, and heaed out anyway, just didnt know it. Even stupider thing, Had it tested, while on the tester, rattled like a cummins, and thoughth it was gonna pop. Passed the test though. No way in the world woulfd i have ever put it back in.

On a different note, the IH rollback that hauled us home just randomly died on us once, and when we hopped out to unload my truck, noticed a front wheel lug nut layin on the ground by the tire. The rollback had new front tires installed in the last few days( so i was told tires still had tits on them) Looked to me like tire place cut a lugnut off cut into the sud and just put a new nut on the damaged stud anyway. What a day.
    93 chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 4l80e auto
    Custom flatbed with foldaway gooseneck ball
    SSDiesel DB2 injector pump marine injectors
    Upgraded turbo ( no id tag but lots of boost)
    SSDiesel 4" exhaust, no muffler, SS crossover
    Rebuilt 4l80e tranny Transgo stage 2 shift kit
    rebuilt HD torque converter
    4x4 Posi Lock
    Opened up air box, stock filter
    Boost, Pyro, Tranny gauges in A-pillar
    Cowl hood, all new paint.
    SS Diesel Cooling upgrade, single tstat Dmax fan,
    '98 HO waterpump.