SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad rep on 6.5's!!!!

Angry Bad rep on 6.5's!!!!

I don't know what the deal is with 6.5's getting such a bad rep. I don't know if its just out here in Wyoming or all over. I have actually had people ask me what I drive and I tell them a six-five and they laugh at me. My reply is always: Why would any self-respecting military put a bad engine in their humvee? The diesel shop here in town thinks that six-fives are junk and refuse to work on them. The one guy who does says one thing after another about lttle piddly things that are wrong with my truck that need to be replaced, that needn't be. I wish we had a guy out here with Walt's knowhow. I'm sick of the Hypocritical B.S. I have never wrenched on a diesel before but I think I'm just going to start. People can think what ever they want about a six five but I will always have respect for it, it is a fine engine.
    Last edited by wyo6.5; 02-18-2007 at 01:51 AM.
    95 GMC K2500

Default gremlins

i have mine for 2 years and 40000 miles. i agree the engine is a good unit.. the electronics s.ck -i have read about too many problems with injection pump,ecm,pedal -- g m should have fixed this. i never feel confident in the reliability of my truck. i bought it to tow camping trailer on vacations and get to work . my fingers are always crossed it wont let me down.
    1995 suburban 2500, 4x4, 3.73,ssdiesel cooling upgrade,intake,glowplugs. 14?,000 mi

Default Friendly enough in Jackson WY

I drove through Jackson two weeks ago (26JAN07) and stopped at a local brake shop to thank the guys (Trukee and Dennis) for helping my mom out over the past few years. They loved my Silverado and couldn't say enough good about it. Hang in there.
    96 K1500 (E-Bay "As IS") w/ FSDHeat Sync & K&N kit.
    New vacuum pump, Instaheat Glows, & Controller switch, Marine Injectors, OEM Ball Joints, Tie rods, Idler Arm, Idler Bracket, Pitman, and Centerlink, front axles, seals, torsion bars w/keys, Rough Country 3" lift w/ shocks, BDS springs, brakes, batteries, tail lights, bug deflector...

2001 BORA TDI
    1997 Saab 900 SE (Talledaga)

Ive had mine for going on 4 years now, driven it up and back from california to idaho, wyoming, and utah many times. Ive put over 100,000 since i purchased it and it has worked just as well as any other vehicle i have ever had. But the best part is that it is a sweet rig. Ive only just started upgrading to make it even better!
    Jon c.

95 GMC k2500 ex cab long box, FSD Heat-Sync,6 new ops switches, lift pump, lift pump relay, Homemade boost controller, Removed Vac Pump, Cooling upgrade, 4" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Air induction kit, 3" downpipe, 3 1/2" straight pipe, SSD Instant Heat Glow plugs, SSD Marine Injectors, Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70 R16. 280,000 miles. All Running on B100

99 Chev Suburban, 2500, PMD heat sync and remote mounting, 4x4, all else stock. 140,000 mliles.

yea i get bagged on for mine to but i have put 30000 on it over the last 2 years with only minimal problems. the best part was when i helped my buddy move who always bagged on my truck and bragged about his himi non stop untill we where both loded with tralers in tow going up the big hill leaving town and i passed him then slowed down and then passed him again. he called me and said im running 6 grand man and i said funny im in OD. rock on 6.5 rock on.

Default love the 6.2/6.5

You have to KNOW the 6.2/6.5 to LOVE them! If you don't know them you are scared of them and hate them.
    Doug Martin - Cape Cod, MA

2000 K3500 SRW 6.5TD, FSD Heat Sync, 80hp ssd-computer, 4" aluminized exhaust,ssd Marine Injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges, Gear Venders under/overdrive unit

1999 K1500 Suburban 6.5TD, FSD Cooler, 40hp BD Computer, ssd Fuel-miser injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges

1991 V1500 Suburban 6.2TD, Banks Sidewinder turbo package, 6.5TD heads, 6.5TD injectors (It thinks its a 6.5 Turbo Diesel)

oh hell ya, people love to shut me down, but when they get stuck, why am i always the first be called? I feel as thought it maybe be a little slow on pickup but it sure as hell can pull, gotta love the 4:10 now all i need to do it get the upgrades from SSDiesel then line up with my buddies! But why do people hate them i never understood? maybe because there not as loud as the Cummins or PowerChoke?
    1996 K2500, Regular Cab Long Bed-SL. Dual 5" smoke stacks, Grill Guard. SS Diesel Supply 3" Down Pipe and Cold air intake. 160,000. New cooper 265's. Installed Marine injectors, A Pillar with 3 gauges and a manual waste gate!

Like it was said before, if the 6.5 was that bad why does the military use it. All my 6.5 does is get the job done. It may not burn the tires up or run 12 seconds on the track. If i want to do that i jump in my hot rod. This motor has been around for a long time. I mean look at ford, they cant keep one designed motor, 7.3, 6.0, now the 6.4. I have yet to see a ford or dodge go over 200.000 miles and not have a major problem. Remember 6.5 owners you can have 1000 horsepower, but you better have something to handle it. I know one thing ill stick with my 280 horsepower 400 pounds of torce and tow another 100.000 miles.
    1995 chevy 2500 with new injection pump, FDS cooler, new PDM, #9 resistor, filter harness, 4" exhaust, and amsoil through out the whole truck. 166473 and counting.

Thumbs up

Good post BTW, the 6.5 is underated. And in our defense the 6.5 WAS the powerhouse in its day, the diesel power battle began in the LATE 90's. So what the PMD farts out on ya and it gets hot while pulling 10k pounds...whos truck wouldnt? The 6.5 has simple emissions compared to ANY other diesel motor out there with emissions,so it shakes down to lower repair cost and longer running trucks. GM makes the best diesels out there, I stand by that. Say Im a little redneckish....but I m from Hawaii so what does that say?LOL the guy that runs the diesel emission place in town rolls a 6.5 Burban....tells you a little something, this man has seen EVERY diesel motor made....he rolls a 6.5.
    SSD Intake
    SSD 4 Inch Exhaust
    16 inch American Racing Wheels
    10 Ply Rubber ONLY!
    High flow coolant upgrade
    Duramax Fan upgrayedd
    Recon Blue Light kit
    Too much who cares?!

Default Pedigree

Look at it this way. The GM 6.2/6.5 truck is the only pedigree out there. GM truck, GM engine, and GM Transmission!! Ford with a International engine. Dodge with a Cummins engine even the Dmax has some Izuzu in it. 6.2/6.5 truck is a PEDIGREE. just like a Mack a PEDIGREE!!!
    Doug Martin - Cape Cod, MA

2000 K3500 SRW 6.5TD, FSD Heat Sync, 80hp ssd-computer, 4" aluminized exhaust,ssd Marine Injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges, Gear Venders under/overdrive unit

1999 K1500 Suburban 6.5TD, FSD Cooler, 40hp BD Computer, ssd Fuel-miser injectors, ssd induction kit, Isspro Gauges

1991 V1500 Suburban 6.2TD, Banks Sidewinder turbo package, 6.5TD heads, 6.5TD injectors (It thinks its a 6.5 Turbo Diesel)