SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad rep on 6.5's!!!!

In 1988, Roger Penski purchased Detroit Diesel. Kept the name, but it is not GM after 1988. I personally think Penski has done more with Detroit Diesel than GM would ever have done. IMO, a very good thing.
    Ted
    94 3500 4X4 6.5 F engine, Crewcab
    06 2500 HD 4X4 6.0 gas motor, horse hauler

What he said,

I wish they made a minature "60 series" so I could stuff it in my dually.

Hey I saw a guy that had a 4-53 T in a 80 Ford 3/4 ton I have no idea what he had for a tranny but it was manual sift
    It sure sounded good sitting at a light idling
    I always wanted to put one in my old 1 ton
    Actually Penske sold Detroit Diesel to Daimler Chrysler a few years ago

I saw a guy once in the late 80's had a 6v53t with a spicer 5sp in about a 78 chevy 1ton, it would pull real good, I have seen about 5 others in magazines in 70-80's chevy's but none of them were turbo, they seem to fit in real nice. Thats a real pickup engine, wear out 3 pickups between rebuilds, lol.

I also knew of two fords with 3208 cats and allisons in them, they couldn't keep rear ends in them, but they was stout for a pickup back in the early 80's.

I want a 6v53t allison combo for a 6x6 chevy project truck I wanna build, but there getting hard to find, an aluminum marine one would be even better, lol.

Thumbs up Reliable 6.5

I baught my 97 6.5 in 04 after I returned from Iraq the first time. The new HMMWVs over there are carrying just over 12000lb and they still get out of the line of fire VERY fast (espacialy after you get rid of the front driveshaft)
    At one point ,after I bought mine, I pulled a trailer loaded w/a JEEP grand cherakee over the mountains in Tenn at about 65MPH in the rain. (Bone Stock) As someone els already said, If you know the limitations, Its a great and long lasting truck. I should talk with Walt more indepth after I get that 20,000$ re-enlistment bonus. "Thanks tax payers"
    Last edited by tinderbox427; 03-21-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    1997 Silverado w/ssdiesel intake.(Almost 200K) Future mods are complete rebuild w/all the goodies.

Freedom continues to be paid for through blood of those with a higher calling.

Before I bought my truck I had people telling me I didn't want a 6.5L. Ever since I bought I haven't regretted it once. My buddy who has always been a GM fan bought a 1996 powerstroke about a month after I bought my 99 GMC. The first 3 times I went camping he would have to pull over and shut the truck off for a few and then restart it because the check engine light would come on and the truck would lose power and he'd have to pull over. Next trip out the starter went out. Had to push start it with my Honda Foreman quad. Then he had issues with the cold start idle and power. Cam sensor went bad. That's why I love when people say crap about my 6.5L cause I haven't had any issues except an alt. in 113,000 miles.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox427 View Post
    I baught my 97 6.5 in 04 after I returned from Iraq the first time. The new HMMWVs over there are carrying just over 12000lb and they still get out of the line of fire VERY fast (espacialy after you get rid of the front driveshaft)
    At one point ,after I bought mine, I pulled a trailer loaded w/a JEEP grand cherakee over the mountains in Tenn at about 65MPH in the rain. (Bone Stock) As someone els already said, If you know the limitations, Its a great and long lasting truck. I should talk with Walt more indepth after I get that 20,000$ re-enlistment bonus. "Thanks tax payers"
    FYI: The new HMMWV's are D-Max/Allison equipped. They have been toasting a lot of 6.5's over in Iraq (see threads concerning Shooter's problems with Int'l Diesel) due to their being grossly beyond their design capabilities due to the up-armoring to try to make them into a CFV/IFV. We should have either left our Bradleys and Abrams over there as they are true armored vehicles, or insisted that the British supplied their Scorpion armored cars. It was the $ involved in trying to support our armor, as well as the appearance of our being an invading occupier that dictated the removal of them and leaving the Hummers. Can you imagine trying to up-armor a Jeep? In essence, this is what we have done with the Hummers, as they were designed as a mutli-purpose multi-role replacement for the venerable M151 family of vehicles and the CUCV's, and never designed or intended to be a heavily armored vehicle.

Husker 6.5 aka

Allen R. S*******r
    CPT, AR USAR, RET

Scouts Out!

Thank god I'm not the only one! Sure the 6.5 is not the best powerplant out there, but it sure as hell will hold its own. My 93 6.5 will pull my 7x14 enclosed trailer loaded as if i forgot to hook it up! If I really want to make it bellar I'll hook up to our 8x20 enclosed. 70mph???? not a problem. The problem with these engines is, GM choked them. (intake, exhaust, injectors) I have installed the 4" exhaust, marine injectors, and air intake, all from SS Diesel Supply (your the best) and the difference is like night and day. All i'm going to say, no 6.5 ever left GM with power mine has.

138,000 miles and counting!

I know PStrokes and Cummins are better but I chose to get the 6.5.

I just like GM's a lot. I got my truck about a month ago so I havent run into any problems. I did research and I hope I never get stranded. So far I love my truck but man is it slow!

I've got a friend who is always ragging on my 6.5 but during the time I've owned mine he's been thru 3 gas powered pickups.
    94 GMC K1500, 4L80E, 3.73gears, EGR plugged, intake reamed out but OEM filter, 3inch downpipe and exhaust, boost and pyrometer gauges, kennedy chip, 600kms. on average tank with no load and light foot. Super truck!