SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Custom Airbox

Cool Custom Airbox

I have been monitoring my intake temperatures for a while and I noticed When in traffic my intake temp would peak over 150deg F. At the time all I had was the Performance Air Induction Kit, so I took a trip to Lowes and got a 3inch elbow from the plumbing department and fabricated a airbox from some scrap sheet metal. I also opened up the old intake hole to match the side of the new airbox. Now I have not had my intake temp exceed 95deg F. (it is winter though I will see how it does this up coming summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 K1500, "S" VIN CODE, 4L80E trans, 135K miles, Marine injectors, Heath PMD isolator installed on skid plate, Performance Air Induction Kit with a custom box and modified inner fender, Instant-Heat Glow Plugs, Triple Gauge Package Combo kit.

99 K1500 Suburban 165K miles, 350ci 4L60E trans. stock.

That's what I wanted to do to mine, then put a single scoop in the hood to supply it. You did a freakin awesome job on yours.
    '93 4-door Silverado 1 ton dually 4x4.
    215 Cummins, custom plate, killer dowel pin tabbed
    47rh, billet triple disc converter, billet accumulater, kickdown servo, band strut and anchor
    241DHD, custom drivelines
    The list goes on, and I built and fabbed every last inch of it including the tranny.
    It eats Duramaxes while sipping diesel. Yes, it's very distinguished in that manner.
    17.5mpg

Looks great. I'll set mine up that way too. I've still got the old air box around here somewhere; I might see if it would work as well as fabricating sheetmetal.
    1997 Silverado 1500 6.5. with 185,000 miles. New fuel injection pump at 132,000 mi. FSD Heat-Sync in bumper hole, marine fuel injectors, air induction kit all from Walt at 148,000 mi. Replaced OEM Fuel Filter Assy, wastegate solenoid valve, OPS and relay at 155,000 mi. Harmonic Balancer replaced. Red dot and White dot EGR replaced. New starter, Instant Heat glow plugs, and glow plug relay/controller at 180,000. Replaced hydroboost and master cylinder in 2016.

thats some creative stuff right there. A nice ram air hood that dumps air in that area would be nice.
    1995 chevy c1500, 6.5LTD 2wd, PMD relocator, SS Diesel Supply 4 inch exhuast, FS2500 Oil Bypass, & S&B Air Intake.

Default air

hey man that looks awsome do u have a cover for it or leave it open to get under hood air as well??

Default open top

It is open top but close fitting to the hood to minimize hot air intake.

I have been thinking about modifying my hood with a cowl or scoop with a direct feed into the box. key is making it functional and keeping a good look.
    98 K1500, "S" VIN CODE, 4L80E trans, 135K miles, Marine injectors, Heath PMD isolator installed on skid plate, Performance Air Induction Kit with a custom box and modified inner fender, Instant-Heat Glow Plugs, Triple Gauge Package Combo kit.

Default What if......

What if you did some kind of fender cowl? You could run a second with tubing to your PMD cooler if its on the manifold.
    Or how a hood that just allows the hot air to escape. I have seen some CHP pursuit cars with what are simply vents in the hood for airflow out. Wouldn't help at a stop but would help getting hot air out.
    Mike
    1994 K2500 Suburban 316,000 mi., F VIN, 4L80E, 3.73 w/posi., 3" turbo back, no cat, FSD Heat Sync, #9 resistor, SSD heads, SSD intake, fuel miser injectors, Bastard IP (5068), 4x4 posi, Cooling upgrade w/duel 180 t-stats and d-max fan

Default new hood

My PMD is on my skid plate behind the bumper. I have been looking at the new 2010 chevy and gm hoods that look like they have a split cowl, and thinking about modifying an old hood with something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAle View Post
    My PMD is on my skid plate behind the bumper. I have been looking at the new 2010 chevy and gm hoods that look like they have a split cowl, and thinking about modifying an old hood with something similar.
    That might work......
    1994 Silverado 3500, 4X4,("F" Engine code) 8' minute mount,160 amp alternator, modified SS Diesel intake with S&B filter, American Racing Diamondbacks,265/75/16/E General Grabber AT2's,Turbomaster, Delphi Lift Pump, 60G glow Plugs, Manual Glow Plug Override,D-tech PMD mounted in bumper, Stanadyne performance formula additive (19 MPG Highway) 172,500 K miles so far....