SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 suburban k2500 sometimes no start

Default 99 suburban k2500 sometimes no start

My 99 suburban wont start sometimes. Its happened twice recently, and my first thought was that the PMD was going out. I got a new one, installed, and everything was running fine...untill it wouldn't start one day. I've got fuel at the filter and after cranking off and on for 10 minutes or so it starts right up and runs fine for a few days then it happens again. My other though is that maybe the Crankshaft position sensor is going out. Anyone else have ideas on what may be the problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Jon c.

95 GMC k2500 ex cab long box, FSD Heat-Sync,6 new ops switches, lift pump, lift pump relay, Homemade boost controller, Removed Vac Pump, Cooling upgrade, 4" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Air induction kit, 3" downpipe, 3 1/2" straight pipe, SSD Instant Heat Glow plugs, SSD Marine Injectors, Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70 R16. 280,000 miles. All Running on B100

99 Chev Suburban, 2500, PMD heat sync and remote mounting, 4x4, all else stock. 140,000 mliles.

Try dielectric grease on connectors.If you had a small brush to scuff the connectors and grease them up.Sounds like loose connection.I would take the time to do the ECM plug also.A test light on the fuel cutoff solenoid would confirm the ign sw is doing its job also.Ign sw has 2 sets of contacts I believe.1 is starter,other contact set powers up ecm circuits for starting.Also,could the coolant temp sensor be out of range?Like telling ecm that engine is warm all the time(which wont provide cold start advance ect?)
    Last edited by Stumped; 02-13-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    still driving stuff with an 8 track,not switching to those newfangled cassettes thingys...... I cant find anything since I moved all my junk

someone needs to get serious about a DB2 conversion that keeps everything operative.I sold that burb I bought last spring because of the DS style injection.
    still driving stuff with an 8 track,not switching to those newfangled cassettes thingys...... I cant find anything since I moved all my junk

Thought it might be a loose connection too. When this happened yesterday i had driven up town to the chiropractor, and when i came out it wouldnt start.

Ill check out the fuel cutoff for power...It should be powered up when key is on correct?
    Jon c.

95 GMC k2500 ex cab long box, FSD Heat-Sync,6 new ops switches, lift pump, lift pump relay, Homemade boost controller, Removed Vac Pump, Cooling upgrade, 4" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Air induction kit, 3" downpipe, 3 1/2" straight pipe, SSD Instant Heat Glow plugs, SSD Marine Injectors, Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70 R16. 280,000 miles. All Running on B100

99 Chev Suburban, 2500, PMD heat sync and remote mounting, 4x4, all else stock. 140,000 mliles.

wish I could help,but not sure on the DS style.My DB was hot(powered up solenoid) as soon as key on..but DS..not sure

dielectric grease works,when checking impedence(total resistance of a circuit) I could see a diff on meter at work.Some of the componets we use have 80 pin connectors.Seems like there is something always dirty or loose.Our equip runs in brine water,so corrosion is a problem if not clean and greased

Quote Originally Posted by christja View Post
    Thought it might be a loose connection too. When this happened yesterday i had driven up town to the chiropractor, and when i came out it wouldnt start.

Ill check out the fuel cutoff for power...It should be powered up when key is on correct?
    Hi Jon !

The Fuel Shutoff Solenoid was my first thought. Going bad, bad connection, broken wire, etc.

That is what it sounds to me.

Greetz across the pond and the whole country !

Cu,
    Sven

Germany ? No thank's ! Anybody here, who offers a job incl. greencard/work permit ? - USA or Canada, it would be a pleasure to immigrate !

1995 Chevrolet K2500 Ext.Cab SB, FSD-Cooler, 3" Rancho Suspension Lift, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Warp Speed Performance 4" Exhaust, Custom K&N Intake, 285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain with 8x16 Alcoa's, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Deezee Bullbar, Stepbars, Lunarvisor, Roll-N-Lock Bedcover, Softtopper Bed Extender, Truck Nuts and much more ...

Whats up Sven,

Its been a while! What is a good way to check the shutoff solenoid?
    Jon c.

Did you check your grounds, batt cables, and BOTH batts? i had the left batt go bad in my truck, and cause long cranking and eventually turned into no start when warm. Crank with ease, ( checked crank spped with a handhelp tach, spun on the high side of book recomendation) turned over just as fast, but couldnt get enough juice to my fuel shutoff to energize it, at same time as cranking engine. Also ended up replacing ground cable for batt on that side. Hope this helps. Had both batts load tested and 1 failed horribly. the other was ok. Two new batts and problem fixed. (till starter tied up 2 moths later)
    93 chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 4l80e auto
    Custom flatbed with foldaway gooseneck ball
    SSDiesel DB2 injector pump marine injectors
    Upgraded turbo ( no id tag but lots of boost)
    SSDiesel 4" exhaust, no muffler, SS crossover
    Rebuilt 4l80e tranny Transgo stage 2 shift kit
    rebuilt HD torque converter
    4x4 Posi Lock
    Opened up air box, stock filter
    Boost, Pyro, Tranny gauges in A-pillar
    Cowl hood, all new paint.
    SS Diesel Cooling upgrade, single tstat Dmax fan,
    '98 HO waterpump.

Quote Originally Posted by christja View Post
    Whats up Sven,

Its been a while! What is a good way to check the shutoff solenoid?
    Yeah, had some probs to get access to this site. Don't know what kind of, discussed the prob via email with GarthJ, but we had no clue, what caused the no access prob. Since a few weeks, it works as before.

Hm, the solenoid should clickif 12V applied. I would remove it from the pump and see, if it moves, when applieing 12V. Than I would check the harness to the solenoid, if there any signs of cable breakage, etc. Also would check if the prob returns, if in this no start moment, 12V is applied to the solenoid.

Cu,
    Sven

Germany ? No thank's ! Anybody here, who offers a job incl. greencard/work permit ? - USA or Canada, it would be a pleasure to immigrate !

1995 Chevrolet K2500 Ext.Cab SB, FSD-Cooler, 3" Rancho Suspension Lift, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Warp Speed Performance 4" Exhaust, Custom K&N Intake, 285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain with 8x16 Alcoa's, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Deezee Bullbar, Stepbars, Lunarvisor, Roll-N-Lock Bedcover, Softtopper Bed Extender, Truck Nuts and much more ...