SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: huge hood latch killing air flow?

Default huge hood latch killing air flow?

has anyone Swiss cheesed their hood latch to increase airflow in that area? I know air must get around it somehow but it really blocks a large portion of the A/C condensor. I am thinking of drilling several holes to let air through it. I am also thinking of moving the horn to the side of the core support. With the 90+ degree weather here I am really having a hard time keeping the temp down on the 6.5. I have new thermostats and have tried cleaning the condensor as much as possible but I still hit 210+ on hills. It's better at night on the way home, the afternoons are rough...

Truck is a 2000 model 3500 automatic trans.

Tommy

Do you have the HO water pump? Should have an "HO" in the casting at the top of the pump. What degree stats? Is your fan clutch engaging? Have you checked for debris between the rad and condenser?
    No nation should owe a debt any greater than that which is owed to its veterans! Thank You Veterans!

the 00 model year should have the best pump developed by GM, so you dont need a pump. it should also have the 9 blade fan, which the only thing better is a duramax fan, which may require shroud trimming. a new fan clutch may help as well.

I would say pull the radiator and set it on some sawhorses and use some scrubbing bubbles, or some good cleaner, and get all crap out of the radiator.

the only cheap recommendation I could suggest is to add an airdam. mpgs will improve, and it is thought that an airdam will lower under-vehicle air pressure, effectively encouraging more CFMs to flow through the rad. and engine compartment.
    99 Chev C3500 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 4.10 130K
    96 GMC C2500HD 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 3.73 240K
    95 GMC C2500HD 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 4.10 135K
    95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 D80 2wd 5.13 132K
    94 GMC C2500HD Burb 6.5L 4L80E 14 bolt 2wd 3.73 300K
    91 GMC C1500, 6.2L SM465 10 bolt 2wd 3.42 59K
    91 Chev C1500 4.3L 5LM60 10 bolt 2wd 3.42 ??K

See other forum for complete signature

I bought the T-stats from SSDiesel. I did pull the radiator and cleaned it thoroughly but wasn't able to get the condenser completely clean but it is a lot better than it was.

Tommy

I pulled the insulation off my hood and installed Runcool Hood louvers. The border patrol, police depts. and jeeps use them to keep underhood temps. down. I can run with my snowplow on and it won't get over 180 degrees.I also have the 180 degree thermostat in mine and replaced my clutchfan. plowking

I have the same problem with hot underhood temps. I took the rubber rear hood gasket(seal) off and saw drawmatic under hood temp drop on my last trip. It helps with the air flow and is an easy quick fix. The dura max fan from Diesel supply is also a plus and I actually sold my old fan assy. on Ebay for 150$.
    I have a 1997 horton 4X4 ambulance converted into a motor home. New hot glow plugs, remote PMD and cooler and air induction kit. New duramax fan and 180 degree thermostates. I also own two 99 suburbans.

I also thought of louvers or a cowl hood to help get hot air out of the engine bay. I tried some coil cleaner (for home a/c units) on the condensor but I still think I am going to have to do more to get it completely clean.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    I pulled the insulation off my hood and installed Runcool Hood louvers. The border patrol, police depts. and jeeps use them to keep underhood temps. down. I can run with my snowplow on and it won't get over 180 degrees.I also have the 180 degree thermostat in mine and replaced my clutchfan. plowking

Got a picture? I would like to see what you did

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by ss68chevyII View Post
    Got a picture? I would like to see what you did

Tommy
    There's a truck identical to mine on Youtube. Type in Runcool Louvers to get the video,only difference is that truck has fender louvers too. I cut two holes 17 inches by 12 inches at rear of hood near centerline . I did make a shield for the alternator to keep off any rainwater. The louvers come in different sizes. plowking

cowl hoods work great at lowering the underhood temps...
    1994 Silverado 3500, 4X4,("F" Engine code) 8' minute mount,160 amp alternator, modified SS Diesel intake with S&B filter, American Racing Diamondbacks,265/75/16/E General Grabber AT2's,Turbomaster, Delphi Lift Pump, 60G glow Plugs, Manual Glow Plug Override,D-tech PMD mounted in bumper, Stanadyne performance formula additive (19 MPG Highway) 172,500 K miles so far....