SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Amsoil?

Default Amsoil?

Ive been thinking about switchin from Mobil to Amsoil for awhile now. The only reason I have not committed to Amsoil yet is due to the fact that there products are so exclusive and I dont know anyone who uses it. So I want to know is Amsoil worth the switch from MobilOil?
    1995 chevy c1500, 6.5LTD 2wd, PMD relocator, SS Diesel Supply 4 inch exhuast, FS2500 Oil Bypass, & S&B Air Intake.

I know some guy that uses a 5500 dodge as a semi, and he can only make crap live with amsoil. I have bought a few cases (havent put it in due to my oil hemmoraging leaks that need stopped before I dump expensive oil in) and cant wait to try it. they also have a very informative gear oil study that shows they make a well rounded product that performs well in every catagory.
    99 Chev C3500 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 4.10 130K
    96 GMC C2500HD 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 3.73 240K
    95 GMC C2500HD 6.5L NV4500 14 bolt 2wd 4.10 135K
    95 Chev C3500HD 6.5L NV4500 D80 2wd 5.13 132K
    94 GMC C2500HD Burb 6.5L 4L80E 14 bolt 2wd 3.73 300K
    91 GMC C1500, 6.2L SM465 10 bolt 2wd 3.42 59K
    91 Chev C1500 4.3L 5LM60 10 bolt 2wd 3.42 ??K

See other forum for complete signature

Default ...no! No! No!...

ran maintenence for multi-million $ truking company for 10yrs... our "bulk" oil was mobil DELVAC 1300SUPER 15-40wt...can prove over 30MILLION road miles across fleet usage with NO lubrication related failures...this is with 25,000mi oil and filter changes on class 8 over the road truck fleet{48-states and canada}...mobil shc-50in trannys and 75-85 mobil in rear ends..we changed from rotella-t oil and lubrication enginers in trannys and rearends to all mobil products...oil consumption overall dropped across fleet...transmission and third member problems dropped also..wheel seals almost disappeared completly..don't mean to sound like a shill but,ford svc trk went delvac when I got it at @165k ran to @290k when I got beast...it was @150k with oil consumption problems {that.s why Igot it cheeep} all I did was change it over to mobil and that stopped just changed that engine out at @330k mi for 2nd headgasket failure,lower end{bearings} still in good shape...jd
    ..93 3500HD 200h 4L80E 4.88..11150lbs allatime..88 c.c. dually..6.2..auto w/doug nash 2-sp..camo paint...58 A120 4by IH{old vfd brush trk} 71ford p/u 79 shovel {{{ hooorraaayyy the bus is gone}}} 93 2500 parts truk {gone to that great chrusher in the sky 01 burban{wifes'.."no you can't use mine"}

Sounds like I'll stick with mobil then. Thanks for the responses.
    1995 chevy c1500, 6.5LTD 2wd, PMD relocator, SS Diesel Supply 4 inch exhuast, FS2500 Oil Bypass, & S&B Air Intake.

Default Oil isn't just Oil

I've never used Amsoil in my truck's motor. I have used it in the rear-end though. I have used it in my oval dirt track cars and I would never use anything else. I love the stuff! When I first started racing I was using conventional oil just like everyone else, but when a local dealer said he'd sponsor me and give me my oil, trans, and rear-end fluids free, I said sure. Before with conventional rear-end fluid when I'd come off the track and we'd have to change the gears or axle or whatever I'd have to wait for the rear-end to cool for at least a half hour just to touch it. With the Amsoil me and my team can get right in there (with gloves on) and get the job done. Now I'm not saying it isn't hot cuz it is, but there is a noticeable difference in temp. Oil is the same and so is the trans. I had my engine pulled and gone through last year after 3 seasons on it and the machine shop was amazed at how nice everything still looked. I only needed new gaskets and bearings.

I guess that's reason enough for me. I would put Amsoil in my trucks motor if I wasn't so damn scared of how it would react. I had the oil change at a spot that didn't carry Rottella-T once and the truck ran like crap. As soon as I change it back everything was fine again.

Hope this very long (TOO LONG) post helps.
    98 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.5TD Suburban
    166,000 miles Loaded
    FSD kit from SSD, Cold Air Intake from SSD
    Full-size LED Light bar, Arrow stick, Corner strobes, Smart Siren light bar and siren controller, UHF Radio, VHF P-25 Digital Radio, Grille Guard blue/amber split LED's,

I will agree with trukdoc that mobil delvacc 1300 is good oil, in my opinion. My truck was DRINKING rotella by the gallon, minimum 1 gal every 1000 miles. (changed oil and filter at no more than 3000 miles) Switched to Mobil delvac 1300. 3500-4000 mile oil change interval, only haveta add 1.5 gal total. I have tried a new oil again, and i am BLOWN AWAY! Started using Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15w40. (schaefferoil.com)I'm currently just over 4400 miles this oil change and have only added 2 qts. Oil pressure comes up faster on statup, truck spins over faster, less smoke out exhaust on startup, starts faster and i have noticed that my truck has been averaging 1-2 mpgs better, since changing oil 4 months ago. Im super pleased with results so far. Oh yea, and the cost, $16-20 a gallon delivered. can buy for $16 a gallon free shipping if order $300 or more worth of product, thru the rep i talk to. Can buy it off shelf at select places for approx $20 a gallon. If your looking for a superior penetrant, you must try Schaeffers Penetro 90. Best $8 a can ive ever spent. Ive tried lots of penetrants in my life (including "home brews") and nothing comes anywhere near close top this stuff. As always, this is my personal experience/opinion. Your truck and results may differ from mine. Totaly worth a look though.
    BTW I started browsin a bit deeper and found certain machine shops, and high performance shops that dont just use Schaeffers themseves (personal and play), thats what they swear by.
    Last edited by JD_countryboy; 09-19-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    93 chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 4l80e auto
    Custom flatbed with foldaway gooseneck ball
    SSDiesel DB2 injector pump marine injectors
    Upgraded turbo ( no id tag but lots of boost)
    SSDiesel 4" exhaust, no muffler, SS crossover
    Rebuilt 4l80e tranny Transgo stage 2 shift kit
    rebuilt HD torque converter
    4x4 Posi Lock
    Opened up air box, stock filter
    Boost, Pyro, Tranny gauges in A-pillar
    Cowl hood, all new paint.
    SS Diesel Cooling upgrade, single tstat Dmax fan,
    '98 HO waterpump.