SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 Actuator Needed... Recomendations?

Default 4x4 Actuator Needed... Recomendations?

I have a newly purchased 1995 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.5TD.

I just drove it back from Phoenix, and I got stuck in Vermont cause the 4 wheel drive wouldn't engage. I'm told the common prob is the front axle actuator.

Should I buy an A/C Delco? Airtex/Wells? Dorman? I really don't want to save money on a junk China part.

My actuator is steel with a pigtail.

I also have a '93 Silverado 6.5TD that had an actuator stuck in the engaged position. On the advice of a friend, I cut the (internal) nipple off to get it back into 2wd, as I mostly use it in the summer. It has the plastic actuator, but I don't recall if it has a pigtail. I'll need one for that truck too...

Has anyone had experience with the various offerings?

I swapped out my junk actuator and went with the 4x4 Posi Lock cable system. Love it. Worry free, simple, dependable, instant front axle engagment.
    93 chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 4l80e auto
    Custom flatbed with foldaway gooseneck ball
    SSDiesel DB2 injector pump marine injectors
    Upgraded turbo ( no id tag but lots of boost)
    SSDiesel 4" exhaust, no muffler, SS crossover
    Rebuilt 4l80e tranny Transgo stage 2 shift kit
    rebuilt HD torque converter
    4x4 Posi Lock
    Opened up air box, stock filter
    Boost, Pyro, Tranny gauges in A-pillar
    Cowl hood, all new paint.
    SS Diesel Cooling upgrade, single tstat Dmax fan,
    '98 HO waterpump.

I just spent $220 on two new ones. where does the cable go to? Pix?

I dont have pics, but i mounted the cable knob just above my accel pedal, bottom of dash, ran cable thru firewall above throttle pedal, to the front differential. Cable bracket bolts on the front diff right side mounting bolts. Another bracket and rod is bolted to the right side of diff, in place of the original actuator. Simple and straightforward directions, and pics included with kit. Well worthe the less than $200 i spent on it. Took probly and hour to install. I just remeber it was cold as sh*t in my shop when i did it. Loved it ever since.
    4x4 Posi Lock
    '98 HO waterpump.

JD,

Would that posi lock work with my 1997 Silverado 1500? Where is the best place to get it? Thanks.
    1997 Silverado 1500 6.5. with 185,000 miles. New fuel injection pump at 132,000 mi. FSD Heat-Sync in bumper hole, marine fuel injectors, air induction kit all from Walt at 148,000 mi. Replaced OEM Fuel Filter Assy, wastegate solenoid valve, OPS and relay at 155,000 mi. Harmonic Balancer replaced. Red dot and White dot EGR replaced. New starter, Instant Heat glow plugs, and glow plug relay/controller at 180,000. Replaced hydroboost and master cylinder in 2016.

Yes the Posi Lock will work on any IFS Chevy truck. I think the 1500 (6 lug) kit was a different part number than the 2500-3500 (8 lug) kit. I bought mine at Napa, it was a few bucks cheaper. SS Diesel sells them too.
    4x4 Posi Lock
    '98 HO waterpump.

Thanks. I looked at it and it seems like something I may need soon because my 4wd doesn't always want to engage/disengage, especially when I am moving. Can the posi lock be used while the truck is moving or do you need to be sitting still?
    Last edited by RipnRun; 01-09-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    1997 Silverado 1500 6.5. with 185,000 miles. New fuel injection pump at 132,000 mi. FSD Heat-Sync in bumper hole, marine fuel injectors, air induction kit all from Walt at 148,000 mi. Replaced OEM Fuel Filter Assy, wastegate solenoid valve, OPS and relay at 155,000 mi. Harmonic Balancer replaced. Red dot and White dot EGR replaced. New starter, Instant Heat glow plugs, and glow plug relay/controller at 180,000. Replaced hydroboost and master cylinder in 2016.

It will function just like the normal transfer case. You are replacing the unreliable electro-mechanical servo actuator with a manual actuator to engage the front diff.

I can turn a wrench but I'm no mechanic and I don't want to mess anything up. Should my regular mechanic know how to install the posi lock?

This is simple install, In my opinion. As long as the two mounting bolts that hold the right side of your front diff come loose, its simple as changing your oil. I found my box the other day, 6 lug and 8 lug truck kits are different part numbers.
    4x4 Posi Lock
    '98 HO waterpump.