SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pinion gear

Thanks Racer, i know what i will be doing tomorrow.
    1997 GMC 1-ton Dually 4x4 crew cab, 4.10 gears, homemade mechanical boost controller, 2.5" crossover pipe, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, 19 mpg thanks to the propane injection kit, Remote PMD, marine injectors, instant heat glow plugs and just turned 141,000 miles

Ok after my trip to the parts store so they could call the dealer to find out what design I have all i got was the difference is in the pinion seal. 1st design is a 1 piece seal and 2nd design is a 2 piece seal. Is there anyway to know without tearing it completely apart?
    1997 GMC 1-ton Dually 4x4 crew cab, 4.10 gears, homemade mechanical boost controller, 2.5" crossover pipe, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, 19 mpg thanks to the propane injection kit, Remote PMD, marine injectors, instant heat glow plugs and just turned 141,000 miles

Ok finally tore the rear end apart and cant believe that i was still able to drive my truck. The pinion support bearing was gone and the 2 coned bearings fell apart when i removed everything from the pinion housing, not to mention the crush sleeve barely looked like a crush sleeve. But just to share, I asked earlier if the pinion gear came out towards the transmission and it actually does on the 10.5" rear differentials. All and all for this being my first time tearing apart a rear differential, I was pleased with the experience. Even setting up the gear mesh was fairly easy. Happy trucking everyone!!!!

I hope you paid special attention when installing the pinion retainer,the oil passage only fits 1 way but the bolt holes align 6 ways.

yes i did. i saw the passage that came over top in the axle housing and aligned the retainer with the opening to align with that passage. Not to mention i marked everything before i tore it apart.

Glad to hear it-nothing good comes when that is not right.