SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Starter "clicking"

Default Starter "clicking"

Hey guys,
    I just replaced my starter once again after 3 or 4 years
    with an a/c delco reman unit assembled in mexico. Before removing and
    replacing I was getting the clicking sound with no starter turning. Checked
    all my connections, batteries for load test and volts everything ok. Installed
    reman unit, good for 2 or 3 days now once again getting the clicking sound.
    This truck does alot of stop and then restart, seems like it happens when
    the unit is hot. It doesnt happen all the time but enough where it gets on
    my nerves. Seems to me that the starter solenoid gets hot and then wont
    engage. Any thoughts?
    Secondly does anyone out there use the powermaster starter? Is there
    solenoid large or better then stock? Send me some feedback if possible,
    I will return the a/c delco and purchase the Powermaster if that will solve my
    problem. Thanks a lot!! JIM

1994 k3500 98k heat sync installed mostly stock unit.

Possibly bad ground or battery connections, bad starters don't click in my experience.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Default Starter "Click"

Hey Grancito,
    Can I check the ground cables with an ohm meter
    to determine resistance level? If so what value should I look for?
    I always remove, clean and retighten connections at battery after
    starter install, thanks. JIM

Look for voltage drop between the negative battery terminal and the engine while someone cranks the engine, there will be a small voltage drop from the lead resistance, can't remember how much, but both ground leads should be the same. Don't wait for the glow plug cycle, so the engine doesn't start and you have time to read the meter. Also check between the ground lead terminals and the bolts that fix them to the engine, there should be no reading there.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

If you suspect the starter ground you can run a direct ground wire directly to the starter mount bolts. I did this with a tractor and it fixed the problem.
    I have a 1997 horton 4X4 ambulance converted into a motor home. New hot glow plugs, remote PMD and cooler and air induction kit. New duramax fan and 180 degree thermostates. I also own two 99 suburbans.