SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Back in a 6.5 again

Default Back in a 6.5 again

Ok so I'm a glutton for punishment. I sold the big black crew cab tried a 2000 Cummins for awhile. Not at all impressed. Some mods but not many. It seemed to me like my 6.5 had more power. Same issues with reliability just different area's. Dowel pins, air pumps, front ends, ect. It really does not matter which brand they all have their issues. Now I went back with a 6.5 in a crew cab dually. I was looking for another truck after selling the Dodge and debated with myself on going back to a 6.5 again. Newer Duramax's are out of the question too much$$. And they still have their own issues. Was going to get a gasser when I spotted this. So since I'm not looking to pull a semi across the country this should serve me well. I hope any way. Picked it up last summer and so far has done pretty well. Fuel mileage wise I'm happy for such a big truck it does well. I'm only guessing since I have not really checked it seems to be around 16 to 18.?? Pulling or empty. Local towing at the moment about a 6 to 7,000 lb 22' landscaping trailer. 2 photo's one during the summer and one set up with the plow for the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 3500 crew cab with ssd's 4" exhaust w/3" down pipe,fsd kit w/ #9 resistor installed, cold air intake kit,(although I also use stock box with K-N filter) max-e-tork ecm,turbo-master boost enhancer, 6" lift w/35 bfg's on m/t rims. 1994 Crew cab dually Centurion edition. 4' exhaust, 3' down pipe, 2.5 cross over pipe, relocator kit, oil presure switch mod, usual 6.5 upgrades to problem area's. hidden goose neck hitch in bed with fifth wheel custom tailgate.

Welcome back, nice looking truck.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Thank you, it's good to be back. There's something about owning a truck that does what others say it can not do. This forum seems a little dead since the last time I was around. What gives??
    2000 3500 crew cab with ssd's 4" exhaust w/3" down pipe,fsd kit w/ #9 resistor installed, cold air intake kit,(although I also use stock box with K-N filter) max-e-tork ecm,turbo-master boost enhancer, 6" lift w/35 bfg's on m/t rims. 1994 Crew cab dually Centurion edition. 4' exhaust, 3' down pipe, 2.5 cross over pipe, relocator kit, oil presure switch mod, usual 6.5 upgrades to problem area's. hidden goose neck hitch in bed with fifth wheel custom tailgate.

Sometimes no posts for more than a month, perhaps no one is having problems. I need a replacement engine though, the suburban has a cracked bore.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

No problems is a good thing. Would be nice to hear some stories of the good for a change. like vacation pic's with your 6.5 pulling your favorite camper or even traveling to remote areas would be interesting. Also work photo's as well as those that went completely insane with their 6.5's and completely customized it. Those types of post's would be pretty cool to see. Sorry to hear about the cracked cylinder. Are you going new or looking for a transplant??

Wish I had some photos of the trip through a coast road in Costa Rica 20 years ago, in the 6.2 I still have. We followed a D9 clearing the mud, but the sludge was still over the bumper, then we crossed a fast flowing river 3 ft deep. Taking photos was the last thing on our minds. I'm going to try to find an engine or block here, the cost to ship, and import tax, is too high to bring a long block in from the USA.
    Grant H.

Without a doubt those would have been some interesting photo's. But understandably due to the situation you were in taking photo's would not be on the top of the list of items to worry about. Yea the shipping and import tax is bad news. 6.2's and 6.5's have been around a long time and were in a lot of different vehicles. So hopefully you will be able to come across something. Good luck with your search.