SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: transmission

Default transmission

My truck has just under 190,000 miles. I understand that most 1/2 ton 6.5 transmissions get replaced by now. I love my truck but she ain't very pretty and I am not a mechanic. Ballpark, how much am I looking at spending to have someone rebuild or replace the transmission on this 1997 truck? Thanks.
    1997 Silverado 1500 6.5. with 185,000 miles. New fuel injection pump at 132,000 mi. FSD Heat-Sync in bumper hole, marine fuel injectors, air induction kit all from Walt at 148,000 mi. Replaced OEM Fuel Filter Assy, wastegate solenoid valve, OPS and relay at 155,000 mi. Harmonic Balancer replaced. Red dot and White dot EGR replaced. New starter, Instant Heat glow plugs, and glow plug relay/controller at 180,000. Replaced hydroboost and master cylinder in 2016.

I have heard that they run $1500.00 plus.
    If it is a 4L80E it will probably be more.
    If Your trans is not acting up then just keep the filter and fluid changed and drive it.
    2000 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab and long box, auto trans
    Relocated PMD W no. 9 resistor, gauge tower, boost, Pyro and trans temp. enhanced shift controller.
    Home made aeroquip oil cooler hoses.
    Added on Glow Plug Relay with manual push button along with the factory GP controller.
    3-1/2" exhaust with 4" tip. Straight through, no muffler and not too loud at all.

Agree with MrMarty, service as usual. I found out recently the difference between rebuilt and reman. Have yours rebuilt if you need. Reman may be junk i.e. rebuilt to the lowest standard in a different state. For almost the same cost.
    Mike
    1994 K2500 Suburban 316,000 mi., F VIN, 4L80E, 3.73 w/posi., 3" turbo back, no cat, FSD Heat Sync, #9 resistor, SSD heads, SSD intake, fuel miser injectors, Bastard IP (5068), 4x4 posi, Cooling upgrade w/duel 180 t-stats and d-max fan

OK, thanks for the help.
    1997 Silverado 1500 6.5. with 185,000 miles. New fuel injection pump at 132,000 mi. FSD Heat-Sync in bumper hole, marine fuel injectors, air induction kit all from Walt at 148,000 mi. Replaced OEM Fuel Filter Assy, wastegate solenoid valve, OPS and relay at 155,000 mi. Harmonic Balancer replaced. Red dot and White dot EGR replaced. New starter, Instant Heat glow plugs, and glow plug relay/controller at 180,000. Replaced hydroboost and master cylinder in 2016.

Every vehicle I have owned, on the very first trans fluid and filter change, the pan gets a drain plug kit added to it.
    I live in Eastern Montana. I once was on My way to My brothers near Grass Valley California.
    The transmission in my 93 K1500 crapped in Fernley Nevada. About twenty miles{if I rememer correctly} east of Reno.
    My brother lived about 80 miles from Fernley. He went almost to Sacramento, got My cousins car haul trailer, came over, we loaded My pickup and went to brothers. next day We took the truck to Red D transmission shop in Citrus Heights. They did a real good job, added all the up-rated components, installed a trans cooler, and I had them tear down the T-Case, they inspected it, installed new seals and put it back together. A real honest shop.
    After that incident, I said I would never be plagued with trans problems again, every 20,000 the pan gets dropped, filter changed and topped up with fluid.
    Have not had a problem with transmissions since then.
    That 4L60E trans has over 100,000 miles on it now. I sold the pickup, the guy that now has it uses it for His work truck. Drove it directly from E.M. to Eugene Oregon and claims that is the best truck He has ever owned. Loaded with a work topper and all the tools for splicing telephone cables and fiber optics.
    Relocated PMD W no. 9 resistor, gauge tower, boost, Pyro and trans temp. enhanced shift controller.
    Added on Glow Plug Relay with manual push button along with the factory GP controller.
    3-1/2" exhaust with 4" tip. Straight through, no muffler and not too loud at all.

I am going to change the fluid and filter. When the transmission goes, I will check into having it rebuilt, rather that buying a re-manufactured one. Thanks again.

That is the way I prefer to do My transmissions too. Get the transmission that I know rebuilt.
    I have done a few transmissions, a task not to be taken lightly.
    Wash parts, wash parts in a different pan of solvent, rinse parts in yet another pan of solvent. When the first pan of solvent begins to get dirty, dump it into a settling jug, rotate the seecond wash pan to the front, fresh solvent in pan 1, then use it for the final rinse, repeat as often as necessary until all the components are warshed and clean. LOL