SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com

Thread: Another turbo boost problem and code p0236

Default Another turbo boost problem and code p0236

2000 Chevy, K3500, automatic transmission.
    How to begin ?
    I used a hand held bead blaster to clean the pin terminals in the weather pack connector for the turbo boost sensor, so I know that they are clean.
    After driving for about three or four miles, Signal voltage from the Turbo boost sensor falls while pulling a hill.
    It will be doing just fine, boost as high as seven pounds and voltages running three plus and pressing the accel pedal will go into the four volt range. Then, all of a sudden, the boost turns to 0 pounds and the voltage from the center signal wire will drop to 2.15, then occasionally bounce up, down and just sort of carries on.
    while the signal voltage is fluctuating, the reference voltage stays at 5.5 to 5.7 volts.
    I replaced the boost sensor with a BWD brand of sensor as it was the only brand available locally, got the same results with the new one.
    When it first started happening, I checked the vacuum at the solenoid valve, and voltage too, thinking that was the problem, replaced the solenoid valve as I had a new one setting here.
    If anyone could help Me out here, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Martin
    2000 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab and long box, auto trans
    Relocated PMD W no. 9 resistor, gauge tower, boost, Pyro and trans temp. enhanced shift controller.
    Home made aeroquip oil cooler hoses.
    Added on Glow Plug Relay with manual push button along with the factory GP controller.
    3-1/2" exhaust with 4" tip. Straight through, no muffler and not too loud at all.

One thing I forgot about.
    There are three electrical terminal connectors behind the fuel filter, in the engines valley.
    I pulled the connectors from their retainers, pulled them apart, used the bead blaster and cleaned all six terminals. Put it back together and went for another test drive.
    And now, ECM is happy, Boost Sensor is happy, turbo is happy, truck is happy and so am I.
    Relocated PMD W no. 9 resistor, gauge tower, boost, Pyro and trans temp. enhanced shift controller.
    Added on Glow Plug Relay with manual push button along with the factory GP controller.
    3-1/2" exhaust with 4" tip. Straight through, no muffler and not too loud at all.

The boost system is working a lot better but not yet fail proof.
    My plan is this coming winter to pull the engine, reseal, main and rod bearings and oil pump.
    While the engine is out, i`m going to dismantle the weather pack connectors, clean them all thoroughly and tighten the up a bit, then reassemble with some real nice corrosion preventive salve that I have.
    In the mean time, I made a bracket from some scrap in My iron pile, built it to very closely resemble the bracket that the vacuum actuator is mounted to, then, following some instruction I seen on the internet, used a no. 49 compression spring and built a manual waste gate controller.
    It seems to work quite well. I now have it set so max boost will be at about 8 pounds of boost.
    I`m going to gradually increase it until it hits ten pounds, then, wait until i am pulling a load and see where it rises to.
    Here is a pic. of the home made unit.
    IMG_3219.jpg

The mechanical waste gate control is good, but it drops my mpg by one mile, boost is too high at low throttle, 3 1/2 psi instead of 1 1/2 at 60 mph.
    Grant H.
    1995 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 extra cab 4x4 pickup, PMD under bumper, mechanical wastegate, 228,000 miles, rebuilt engine, 4.10 diff, 16 mpg
    1994 6.5 turbo GMC K2500 4x4 suburban "F" VIN #9 resistor, PMD in the bumper, mechanical waste gate, 226,000 miles, Positrac 3.73 diff, 17 mpg highway.
    1982 4x4 shortbed 6.2 Chev 260,000 miles untouched motor 17 MPG 4.27 diff. Best thing I ever owned, 21 years.

Quote Originally Posted by grancito View Post
    The mechanical waste gate control is good, but it drops my mpg by one mile, boost is too high at low throttle, 3 1/2 psi instead of 1 1/2 at 60 mph.
    Yeah, I was hoping it would help the mileage, now getting 16 to the gallon.
    Wifey and I was going to church this morning, driving about 78 mph, boost was about 5 pounds. Pulling the hills it would hit 7.
    After church, before coming home, I gave the nuts four full turns down. Pulling the first long hill, it was pushing about 12 pounds, after that the highest it went was to ten, briefly. I`ll back the nuts off two full turns and call it good.
    Now the SES light is lit up. LOL
    A friend has an auto repair shop. He has a OTC Genesis scanner. I hope His scanner will be able to read the timing, I`m wanting to get it checked but I dont have the funds for the chevy garage. The guy said I can just come in and use the scanner, he has a newer OTC scanner too.