SSDieselSupply.com
SSDPro-Exhaust.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outrageous Registration Fees

Unhappy Outrageous Registration Fees

I just got my registration slip in the mail for the next year, so instead of getting the triple guage kit from walt I get to pay the state of California $339. Included in that fee is a "weight fee" of $154. I dont think thats a very nice way of telling my 6.5 its overweight...
    Jon c.

95 GMC k2500 ex cab long box, FSD Heat-Sync,6 new ops switches, lift pump, lift pump relay, Homemade boost controller, Removed Vac Pump, Cooling upgrade, 4" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Air induction kit, 3" downpipe, 3 1/2" straight pipe, SSD Instant Heat Glow plugs, SSD Marine Injectors, Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70 R16. 280,000 miles. All Running on B100

99 Chev Suburban, 2500, PMD heat sync and remote mounting, 4x4, all else stock. 140,000 mliles.

Default Grvrjr

Damn! Almost 500 bucks?!

Wink

I pay a paltry 150 or so each year, but it is a tax write off...

Quote Originally Posted by christja View Post
    I just got my registration slip in the mail for the next year, so instead of getting the triple guage kit from walt I get to pay the state of California $339. Included in that fee is a "weight fee" of $154. I dont think thats a very nice way of telling my 6.5 its overweight...
    MY $39.00 looks dam good now , Thanks I feel better now.
    1993 K2500,4"exhaust,marine injector,intake kit,cooling kit,Derale deep pan,2 trans coolers[It get very hot here],Auto Meter gages

Default Reg fees

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogchance View Post
    MY $39.00 looks dam good now , Thanks I feel better now.
    In Nebraska, ALL pickup trucks must licensed as Commercial Vehicles, whether they are nothing more than the rug-rat haullin' or all-weather get to work vehicle, or a serious work truck like mine. That went into effect about five years ago as a way to generate more revenue, as commercial plates had special extra fees on them vs. passenger vehicle plates. Automatic with commercial plates was a 3 ton gross weight rating and sticker for the plate, the next ton rating was $15 more (cheaper than the $300 fine if you are caught running heavier than what you're plated for), and to go to 5 tons was another $30 on top of that.

I originally plated mine four years ago for 4 tons, and it was $189, thank goodness that the valuation tax on a 94 was based on a used value of $1800, so there was only $12 for property tax on the reg. fee. I have friends with 2-3 year old trucks that have almost $250 in valuation tax on their registation fees, plus all the other crap they add on.

Anyway, two years ago I upped to 5 Ton cause I scaled at scrapyard at 8300 lbs. one day while dropping off a load of salvaged aluminum window frames from several job sites. That cost a cool two Benjamins.

Now this year, they have made it "automatic" that all comercial plates are registered at 5 tons to start with, even an S-10 extended cab that's used only to take the kids to school! Talk about the big shake down by government!

Husker 6.5

..I have to cough up just over $800 for registration and basic insurance every year. Fortunately they're considerate enough to let me pay quarterly or monthly, whatever suits me best. Pickups are cheaper than sporty little cars though.
    Our vehicle insurance is a crown corporation....are independent insurance brokers any cheaper?
    1994 K2500 4x4, auto, heavy-duty bumper with Superwinch Ox, Instant Heat Glow Plugs, Marine Injectors, 4" straight-pipe exhaust, turbomaster, 3.73 with posi...

Out west in British Columbia I pay $1100 for govt. insurance and licence plates I register my truck at 5001 kg gvw then I dont have to go through the Air Care program . Which we all hate
    Im a senior with a class 1 drivers licence and a clean record and I think thats too much.

I suppose the registration fees you talk about is something like an tax you have to pay for the truck to father state ?

Here in germany i have to pay 210 euro tax every for a GVW up to 3500 kilogram and about 550 euro insurance for the all inclusive paket (all is insured ->stolen, damaged, vandalism, storm, fire, all accidanet, even the damage at my truck if i drove it by mayself into another car and it was my fault).

The number plates you have to pay only once here, when you go to the "Zulassungstelle" to get them. Plates, all taxes andpapers should about 50euro. Only once until you gave the number plates back and bring the car/truck to the junkyard.

Cu,
    Sven

Germany ? No thank's ! Anybody here, who offers a job incl. greencard/work permit ? - USA or Canada, it would be a pleasure to immigrate !

1995 Chevrolet K2500 Ext.Cab SB, FSD-Cooler, 3" Rancho Suspension Lift, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Warp Speed Performance 4" Exhaust, Custom K&N Intake, 285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain with 8x16 Alcoa's, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Deezee Bullbar, Stepbars, Lunarvisor, Roll-N-Lock Bedcover, Softtopper Bed Extender, Truck Nuts and much more ...

its a yearly cost for plates and insurance and the higher the GVW the higher the plates cost (road wear you know)
    the higher value of the vehicle the higher the cost for insurance.
    a new truck insurance could cost around $2000 or more depending on how much deductable and liability insurance you want.
    One thing about Govt. insurance is you know everyone is covered

My insurance is around $445 and my plates are $70.54 (just did those) per year for both.

Truck is full coverage.

It helps that I have a class 1 license, air and safety endorsement, defensive driving certification, and over 1 million accident-free-ticket-free miles.

An accident or ticket really screws that up here in Alberta, though. Some young men are paying in excess of $3000/yr for insurance, just because they got caught speeding or burning a little rubber.

My daughter's first insurance was $1400/yr, for only public liability/public damage (no collision, fire, or theft)... my son's was $2100/year, same thing, when he first started.

Only us olde guys are getting off light around here.

And before my right-wing friend appears, insurance in Alberta is ALL free-enterprise competition between private companies, just like everything else around here. The government has nothing to do with setting rates, only with collecting their share of the basic amounts (which is a pretty small slice, all things considered).
    Last edited by jifaire; 07-26-2007 at 01:42 PM.