SixFiveTurboDiesel.comSixFiveTurboDiesel.com
SSDieselSupply.com - SSDiesel Supply
SSDPro-Exhaust.com, an SSDiesel Supply Company

Go Back   SixFiveTurboDiesel.com > Upgrades and Aftermarket

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Dual thermostat crossover on old 6.5

Anyone have experience with installing the cooling upgrade kit with the dual thermostat housing on a 6.5 with the mechanical Stanadyne injection? It doesn't appear to be that complicated, but I don't want to get it all apart and then learn the cables connect to the crankshaft and you need to turn the truck over to make the swap.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Dual Thermostat

What year truck do you want the crossover housing to fit.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Crossover change to dual thermostats

Truck is a 1993 3500. The engine was replaced under warranty by GM at 40.000 miles, but is still the same as the 93 model.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Default my experience

I did the waterpump at the same time as the double thermostat upgrade. It has been a while but it went smooth except that I remember having to grind something on my engine a little bit to make it fit, no big deal. Replace your upper and lower hoses at the same time to eliminate them as a source for failure in the future. Also the funky GM connector on the 1/2" aluminum hose at least on mine was aged and required replacement. They are available from SSDiesel or at you local parts setore in the help section. I will say that the cooling fan upgrade made a HUGE difference in operating temperatures for me as I tow a camper, so if I did the job again, I would do that at the same time, instead of later.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Injection pump difference

Oh I also see that you have mechanical injection, I have a DS4
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Dual Thermostat

You will need to make new brakets for the cables, grined the braket that hold the Alt,steeing pump. PM Grath for some pics of the brakets I made for mine.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Actually there is a marine adaptor made for the mechanical linkage my buddy has one on order so email me and I will find out where he is getting it from.
I think the only bracket you have to make is for the cruise control cable after that